Sign in with
Your question

CoDMW will ATI mobility Raedon HD4200 graphics card run it?

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
January 13, 2010 9:50:23 PM

HELP!!
I just bought a HP dv7-3065dx Pavilion Laptop. I SPECIFICALLY asked two sales associates and a Geek Squad Member before purchasing and ALL told me I could play current games if I wanted on this unit. After owning it a few days and researching on games specs. I'm beginning to wonder.
The Specs on this model are: Price was $699 WINDOWS 7, AMD Turion™ II Ultra Dual-Core Mobile Processor M600, 4GB DDR2 memory, 500GB Serial ATA hard drive (7200 rpm), Blu-Ray, 17.3" LED high-definition widescreen display,

ATI Radeon HD 4200 graphicsFeatures 128MB display cache memory, 128MB GDDR2 sideport memory and up to 2046MB total graphics memory for lush images. HDMI output for connecting to an HDTV. Altec Lansing audio with SRS Premium Sound.

Will ATI mobility Raedon HD4200 graphics card run it?

More about : codmw ati mobility raedon hd4200 graphics card run

January 13, 2010 10:06:37 PM

this is all i could find, and im not fluent in ATI series so i dont know how the two series compare

Processor: 2.4 GHz dual core or better is recommended
Display Card: 3.0 Shader Support recommended. Nvidia Geforce 7800 or better or ATI Radeon X1800 or better
Memory: 1024 MB RAM
Free Disk Space: 8GB
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP or Windows 7

(thats for modern warfare 2 btw)
m
l
January 14, 2010 10:39:10 PM

Although an HD4200 might be able to get the game to run, it will be on the lowest graphics settings at the lowest resolution possible, and even then it won't be quick. It seriously will not be worth trying it.

The HD4200 is an integrated graphics solution which is perfect for HTPCs and displaying HD video and Blu-Rays. It is not designed or capable of running any reasonably modern games at all - you'd have to go back to 2004 to find games you can run at decent settings.

Have a look on Tom's latest chart: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/best-graphics-card,review... and you'll see the HD4200 is the same grouping as the HD3200, which is what I have running on my HTPC so i'm not speaking out of ignorance. You need a discrete graphics card to run COD:MW or COD:MW2, no integrated solution will do.

Sorry mate, the Geek Squad member mislead you. Him telling you you can run any modern games on that PC is like telling you you can run a Fiesta in a Formula 1 race. Technically, it's true but in reality it's complete rubbish. Sorry.
m
l
Related resources
January 22, 2010 3:05:10 AM

Confused Stu said:
Although an HD4200 might be able to get the gvaame to run, it will be on the lowest graphics settings at the lowest resolution possible, and even then it won't be quick. It seriously will not be worth trying it.

The HD4200 is an integrated graphics solution which is perfect for HTPCs and displaying HD video and Blu-Rays. It is not designed or capable of running any reasonably modern games at all - you'd have to go back to 2004 to find games you can run at decent settings.

Have a look on Tom's latest chart: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/best-graphics-card,review... and you'll see the HD4200 is the same grouping as the HD3200, which is what I have running on my HTPC so i'm not speaking out of ignorance. You need a discrete graphics card to run COD:MW or COD:MW2, no integrated solution will do.

Sorry mate, the Geek Squad member mislead you. Him telling you you can run any modern games on that PC is like telling you you can run a Fiesta in a Formula 1 race. Technically, it's true but in reality it's complete rubbish. Sorry.

Thanks for the reply. I really was trying to find someone who had personal experience or AT LEAST enough knowlege with games or computers to give me a solid answer. You are the first one to give me a good answer and not just type the game requirements from the package. I'm not a dumbass, I did look at the specs. Thats why I didn't buy the game(s) as of yet.
Since I posted the Question I took the HP back and exchanged it for a SONY VAIO. It has a better graphics card w/ 512mb VRAM, whatever that means. This one is a much better laptop. Although the screen is an inch smaller at 16.4" it has better specs on everything else; Core 2 Duo P7450 2.13Ghz, Mobility Raedon HD4650, 6GB Ram, 500 GB HD, Blu-Ray, Windows 7, etc. It was OPTIMIZED by Geek Squad. They removed all the crap software and sped up the thing to make it perform w/o any restrictions. I didn't have to pay for it and it usually costs $40. Since I have a PS, PS2, PS3, PSP, PSP Go, And 2 Walkmans. I'm pretty satisfied w/this one. I have just ordered Crysis and am going to get CoD MW tomorrow. I looked on a website called notebook check & it said the VAIO I have would play all current games that I like, shooters, racing, & action games of most popular titles. If You have any advice about PC Gaming controllers , let me know. I have extra 360 controllers and a adapter from microsoft to use said controller w/my pc. I have tried it but can't get it to work. I was trying to play Marine Sharpshooter, Maybe it's the game? IDK
m
l
February 19, 2010 3:00:05 AM

A 4650 will let you plays games current games with decent settings and good performance. But don't get your hopes up in Crysis, you'll need a high-end card to play it at high settings.

Just in case you don't know, Here are some tips I wrote for you to get the best image quality and performance:

1) Disable Anti-aliasing (AA) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-aliasing just in case you're wondering what it is.

2) Watch out for shadow quality settings, too high settings will have a big impact on frames per second (performance).

3) Also, watch out for particle effects settings. These are usually the special effect of particles like dust and smoke in some games. If set too high they'll have a huge impact.

4) Put Texture resolution on high, this is the biggest image quality booster!

5) Anisotropic Filtering is also a big image quality booster on some games but if set too high it can have a big impact on performance. Set value at 4x or 8x

You can also check out http://www.tweakguides.com/ for a more in-depth setting configuration if you're unsure on how to proceed. Remember that to get the best performance out of your games you'll have to tweak a lot of settings until you're satisfied. It might seem hard at first but you'll get it pretty quick and it's worth every step of the way.

Now, if you lack a trained eye for measuring Frames per second then download FRAPS, which displays the current fps of anything you're viewing that has motion on the top corner of your screen.
http://www.fraps.com/
It's free for this specific purpose, the full version has video record options but they'll probably make your laptop crawl since it is pretty intensive hehe.

Well I hope this info helps you in your process, I learned this by myself years ago through process of error and I'm quite happy that I have perfected the tweaking art to my needs.
m
l
February 19, 2010 7:56:39 PM

Can I Play Call of Duty MW or MW2 said:
Thanks for the reply. I really was trying to find someone who had personal experience or AT LEAST enough knowlege with games or computers to give me a solid answer. You are the first one to give me a good answer and not just type the game requirements from the package. I'm not a dumbass, I did look at the specs. Thats why I didn't buy the game(s) as of yet.
Since I posted the Question I took the HP back and exchanged it for a SONY VAIO. It has a better graphics card w/ 512mb VRAM, whatever that means. This one is a much better laptop. Although the screen is an inch smaller at 16.4" it has better specs on everything else; Core 2 Duo P7450 2.13Ghz, Mobility Raedon HD4650, 6GB Ram, 500 GB HD, Blu-Ray, Windows 7, etc. It was OPTIMIZED by Geek Squad. They removed all the crap software and sped up the thing to make it perform w/o any restrictions. I didn't have to pay for it and it usually costs $40. Since I have a PS, PS2, PS3, PSP, PSP Go, And 2 Walkmans. I'm pretty satisfied w/this one. I have just ordered Crysis and am going to get CoD MW tomorrow. I looked on a website called notebook check & it said the VAIO I have would play all current games that I like, shooters, racing, & action games of most popular titles. If You have any advice about PC Gaming controllers , let me know. I have extra 360 controllers and a adapter from microsoft to use said controller w/my pc. I have tried it but can't get it to work. I was trying to play Marine Sharpshooter, Maybe it's the game? IDK

That looks like a nice laptop spec, and I'm glad you're happy with it. Although the CPU and GPU are good for a laptop, they're not in the same league as a gaming desktop so be a little careful with the games you buy in future or you might be disappointed (e.g. don't buy GTA4 as you won't be able to run it properly). CoD MW should run pretty nicely on that and lpedraja2002 has given you some very good advice on how to get Crysis running at a respectable pace so make sure you follow them.

Xbox 360 controllers (wired) work well on PCs once you've downloaded and installed the drivers - google will easily show you the right ones if W7 doesn't find them automatically. Wireless controllers you'll need a PC receiver for those (which is the only difference between an Xbox 360 wireless controller package and an Xbox 360 for PC package). I don't know Marine Sharpshooter so cannot say if the controller will work on that game.

On a final (and personal) note, I think your dig about just quoting the system specs was a bit out of order mate. You didn't put in your original post that you'd checked the specs needed for the game and nobody here is a mind reader. JDV28 is always one of the first to try to help people out on this forum and gives very good advice, even specifying which are facts and which are his/her opinions (which is rare on an internet forum!). He/she is one of the good guys around here, so is well worth listening to.

Have fun with the laptop dude. Sounds like you've got a very nice one there. :) 
m
l
!