Sign in with
Your question
Solved

MW2

Last response: in Video Games
January 14, 2010 3:52:35 AM

I saw originally were there was a lot of bad talk about MW2 on the PC side.

Is the game that bad on the PC were you cant find any servers to play on?

I just want to no because for the life of me I cant get use to the controls on a PS3 or a xbox 360.

More about : mw2

January 14, 2010 4:45:57 PM

Personally, i havent played it on the PC, but if you just look at the 1 or 2 most recent pages in PC gaming, there are ALOT of people asking about problems with MW2 on PC.
m
l

Best solution

January 14, 2010 6:05:45 PM

I was boycotting it until Best Buy had a misprint and I got it for $30 before Xmas.

The reason people are boycotting it is because it is a direct console port. Meaning there is no different between the console version and the PC. In the last 2 COD games you could run dedicated servers, have admins to those severs, set the maps modes, etc. It also had the MOD features. Modern Warfare relies on STEAM to be installed and manage the game and you can add buddies and what not, which is a PAIN at times. When you connect to a game there are no dedicated servers and what happens is the Infinity Ward servers connect the players to games but one of the people in the game is designated the HOST system, which everyone connects to. If the host drops, the game stops and you get a screen says it is finding a new host, and then you get a countdown from 5 until the game starts from where it froze and resumes from there. You can only have up to 18 people MAX on certain maps. Those are the REAL reasons people boycotted it, because it doesnt have the freedom that most PC games have. It is pain at times, but for $30 it was worth the campain and the special ops missions which are really cool. Multiplayer is ok but Im not into it like i was with COD4. It's not worth $60 to be honest. but $40 I'd buy it. So it's your call. It is fun for the most part minus the annoyances.
Related resources
January 14, 2010 10:31:59 PM

bro its a good game buy it, I own it for pc. jay2tall is right though, those freaking host switches and non dedicated servers make you throw fists, but over all the game is really fun trust me. Plus who doesnt want to know what happens to captain price in the story mode? lol. ok man go ahead and buy it you wont regret it.
m
l
January 14, 2010 10:42:05 PM

I bought it for the single player and special op missions and IMHO it's well worth it for those alone. Multiplayer isn't as well set up as COD4 was for all the reasons jay2tall explained, but short version is unless you're going to be 100% multiplayer, I'd say get it.
m
l
January 15, 2010 1:52:56 AM

i would only get it if u r a casual gamer and dont want to think while you play. its basically Killer Instict Gold in FPS.
m
l
January 15, 2010 2:16:38 AM

It's a great game, the only flaw is the server issue which in turn generates TONZ of hackers (wallhackers, aimbots and glitchers mostly)...other than that the game is alright.... If MW3 comes out to be the same it will be the first CoD title that I will not buy....

Gameplay and SP is nice, everything else sucks....
m
l
January 15, 2010 10:44:54 AM

it's a good game, presented in the worst possible way.

dedicated servers and matchmaking is unforgivable on the PC platform, makes the multiplayer totally unplayable for me. 300+ ping most of the time with the automatically assigned host getting 0 ping (doesn't even pick host located in a geographically CENTRAL location), incredible lag if someone so much as farts on the host's bandwidth (even worse than the old 56k modem nightmares from 1999). the game automatically finds a game for you to join, the only thing you can choose is game type, and don't bother choosing anything other than team deathmatch because you'll be waiting for ten minutes for the matchmaking system to find a suitable game... and that game is likely to lag, crash and be full of noobs/hackers.

single player and spec ops are worth playing though, so it's worth buying if you like FPS's.
m
l
January 15, 2010 12:06:28 PM

Well, in my opinion, MW2 is better then MW. I liked those smooth movement animations and the effects. But, i didn't liked the PC Multiplayer version, mainly because of Steam. Deticated servers and matchmaking, as tarquinbiscuitt pointed, are big mistakes on the PC version. Howewer, the spec ops thing is great :)  :D  :D . I liked it very much. Especially The Two Players Online mode, which is a great experience.
m
l
January 15, 2010 4:30:38 PM

^ the guns kinda suck to tell you the truth, some of the first guns are better than the others. But the perks are great, and you can upgrade them through experience. Also the attachments are sweet. The different killstreaks and death streaks are a nice addon. And I love being able to use a shotgun instead of a pistol. Scavenger is great to pickup extra ammo. Bling to have a handle and holographic sight on the LMG is awesome to. Commando and marathon are great to just Knife people all day long.
m
l
January 15, 2010 5:12:12 PM

until the server floods with hackers and you start seeing ratios of 35-2 at the end of the game...

last night i found 2 good servers, the rest were just impossible to play...
m
l
January 15, 2010 11:52:30 PM

It is odd that you you to see so many games that were also Multiplayer there were dedicated servers that would run the game and there were many of them.
with a game that had so many waiting for it and with so much advertising this is one thing they should of had for sure.
I have a PS3 hooked to a 50" Plasma HD but i cant get to it hardly do to the TV being used or my grandson watching dvds or blue rays lol.

When they do things like this it is making it harder for me to justify building PC's
m
l
January 16, 2010 8:08:01 PM

OvrClkr said:
until the server floods with hackers and you start seeing ratios of 35-2 at the end of the game...

last night i found 2 good servers, the rest were just impossible to play...

I feel ya. I like to think im somewhat above average and when you see 30-3 it angers you. You can tell through the replay who is using aimbot. Oh look im behind a MOUNTAIN, with cold blooded and Ninja yet he is tracking you until you walk out and pecks you of at the nose when you appear. Losers that have no REAL skill use aimbot.
m
l
January 17, 2010 11:28:17 AM

No dedicated servers, no mod tools, no sale.
m
l
January 20, 2010 7:30:28 PM

Haha for $30 it's worth trying. $60 not so much.
m
l
January 20, 2010 10:48:12 PM

jay2tall said:
I feel ya. I like to think im somewhat above average and when you see 30-3 it angers you. You can tell through the replay who is using aimbot. Oh look im behind a MOUNTAIN, with cold blooded and Ninja yet he is tracking you until you walk out and pecks you of at the nose when you appear. Losers that have no REAL skill use aimbot.

Exactly..... I just got off right now from playing Capture the Flag and i got Nuked in the first 5 min.... I hope that guy gets banned :fou: 

There is also a few woman that hack too..lol .. I heard a girl cussing the whole round, sitting in a corner behind a wall getting 3 kills every 10-15 sec... Of course she eneded up winning the round 39-4 :( 

I hope VAC does something about this, cause there is no point in playing in most servers if you have to deal with all the crap that is going on. I was fine with PB :(  , i hope MW3 is like MW1 ...... If not it will be a guaranteed disaster....
m
l
January 21, 2010 12:41:59 AM

agree, if MW3 has all the things from MW1 I will camp outside. but if its like MW2, ill be done with Call of duty, moving on to Crysis 2 which looks promising on DX11. The whole reason why im building a new rig during the summer. only to have it ready for DX11 and Crysis 2. ahha nice! any suggestions?
m
l
January 21, 2010 4:05:46 PM

You would think they could push some kind of update through STEAM that would either check whatever files are modified, or even just change them each time they launch STEAM, or something of that nature. Since everything is under the STEAM folder you would think they could verify files and what not.

It would be much more fun if they eliminated any sort of hacked files or aimbot. I could even live with the host disconnecting stuff if everyone played fair.
m
l
January 21, 2010 7:05:38 PM

Well that is what PB used to do.... Not sure how VAC works but w/o dedicated servers it will be really hard to track down most hackers. The reason why MW1 had very few hackers has to do with the admin cam-tracking the hacker. If the admin see's the user in "spectator" mode it makes it very easy to see if he is hacking or not. That is why many didnt even bother to hack in the first place since they knew that they would get banned for life on that particular server. Since we have no way of doing this the hackers take advantage.
m
l
January 21, 2010 7:24:15 PM

^But Activison says everything is fair in the game and there are no cheaters.
m
l
February 1, 2010 5:34:07 PM

Yeah Jay2tall is correct! COD4 online play is way better and is just more fluid. The dedicated servers part cant be beat. But if you want to finish up the story line and explore new maps and awesome graphics then MW2 is it. In COD4 online it takes about a few seconds to load a game and be in action less then it takes time to sit and get up. In MW2 it takes about 50 seconds to go online but its not so bad. Steam uses this annoying thing of selecting the host and then it it gathers the players and then your on. All in all its worth it if you purchase it for less then 50 bucks..If Infinity ward adds dedicated servers to it then it will raise itself to a few notches above COD4 but until then COD4 is still KING for online play!
m
l
February 1, 2010 5:45:34 PM

OvrClkr said:
Exactly..... I just got off right now from playing Capture the Flag and i got Nuked in the first 5 min.... I hope that guy gets banned :fou: 

There is also a few woman that hack too..lol .. I heard a girl cussing the whole round, sitting in a corner behind a wall getting 3 kills every 10-15 sec... Of course she eneded up winning the round 39-4 :( 

I hope VAC does something about this, cause there is no point in playing in most servers if you have to deal with all the crap that is going on. I was fine with PB :(  , i hope MW3 is like MW1 ...... If not it will be a guaranteed disaster....

Yeah I agree thats terrible when you have certain individuals that take pride in hacking there way to a win. This game is about shooting and what not. Hackers like that need to be found and then removed. I think that is what Steam intends to do with all of this control. No aimbots or cheats or anything like that..Just mano a mano..I have had certain groups of people spectate and say things like " How can someone play so good" " They must be cheating" Then they spectate and follow you around to see how you play and they say wow your just a good player.No cheating I pride myself in that..Just a mouse and a keyboard..:)  I am not the best but I throw a good game..I even think that the weapons like Sniper with Infared should also be dissallowed from the arena of online play to many advantages that make it overkill for shooting games like MW2. Sometimes on COD4 we agree to only use pistols and belive me its challenge but thats what makes it super fun...
m
l
February 1, 2010 8:58:31 PM

Just get Bad Company 2 forget this silly game :) 
m
l
February 1, 2010 10:01:37 PM

Yea I have BC2 on pre-order from steam, it better be as good or better than BF2.....

BC1 was a flop IMO, so hopefully they got it right this time....
m
l
February 2, 2010 4:12:12 AM

This game is awesome, the single player alone is worth the price tag.
The problems everyone else mentions (no dedicated servers, no kicking/banning players, steam) have no really been an issue for me. Finding a game is quick and I have only had a handful of lag issues. Host changes can be annoying but are also not common.
Cheating...? It is a fps - but at least the game has a kill cam.
if you enjoyed MW, you'll like this.
m
l
February 2, 2010 7:01:33 PM

modern warfare 2 rocks, im in a cuban clan. [CUB] RIPPER!!!!!
m
l
February 2, 2010 7:33:53 PM

CUB RIPPER!!

Okay I will look out for ya.
m
l
February 2, 2010 8:55:59 PM

its quite possible the worst game ive ever played, MP that is anyway. SP is awesome
m
l
February 2, 2010 11:43:12 PM

user-one said:
its quite possible the worst game ive ever played, MP that is anyway. SP is awesome

i agree, i needed a MW2 fix when I left work just to blow off some steam and I ended up even worse =(

All other modes are awesome, now if we can just get dedi-servers on MW3 everyone will be (xept hackers) :kaola:  very happy :ange: 
m
l
February 3, 2010 3:11:00 PM

If they found a way to kick people using any of the hacks from the HUGE list they have, it would be a MUCH more fun place. There is no way some of these people are anticipating me in some of these games. They are running full boar, stop, turn, wait for me to come around the corner, kill me, then turn and keep running. I know sometimes people get lucky and you walk right into it, but not several times in a game. And now they have aimbot with stealth mode, which doesn't snap like the old aimbot used to. I've watched the YouTube videos, they make me angry. And the ESP crap. You can see me through a WALL! I hope Activision and Infinity Ward choak on the billions they made.
m
l
March 8, 2010 1:00:43 AM

Best answer selected by r_manic.
m
l
!