"safely remove hardware" after installing modem

Tags:
  • Hardware
  • Modem
  • USB
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
September 26, 2004 5:11:47 PM

I have just upgraded to broadband (what a difference !!!) but after i installed my motorola modem (USB) i cannot get rid of the "safely remove hardware" icon in the bottom right of the taskbar . Ive tried many times to reboot etc but it wont disappear . Its safe to say that i will probably never remove it because of its importance . Is there a way of telling my PC that its a permanent fixture and i dont want to remove it . I have many other hardware devices connected via the USB ports and none of them give me this grief. Any ideas guys ??? Cheers , Steve , Plymouth UK

More about : safely remove hardware installing modem

September 26, 2004 10:05:13 PM

i also have that after i put in my wireless device (usb). it had the icon on the bottom, but since it has gone away. i hid it by going to CONTROL PANEL- then click TASKBAR AND START MENU (under classic view)- under NOTIFICATION AREA make sure u have the "HIDE INACTIVE ICONS" checked-click CUSTOMIZE-find "SAFELY REMOVE HARDWARE" and click on it-on the scroll down box next to it, drop down and find "ALWAYS HIDE". it should eventually go away as long as u dont constantly unplug and plug back in the device.
!