Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
People,

I'd like some suggestions for AMD motherboards that would run with generic PC3200 memory. (The brand name is actually "Platinum" the memory chips are Micron (46V32M8)).
Since the memory is relatively inexpensive you might want to guess that the motherboard should be inexpensive.

Anyone have any builds with generic PC3200 that worked?

The loving are the daring!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Flinx on 11/20/03 09:57 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Micron is one of the largest memory producers in the world; crucial is one of their name brands. I would select the mobo that has the features you need. The abit nf7-s version 2.0 is highly recommended. With a barton 333 cpu, you should be able to do some modest overclocking at case 2.5 setting.

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Oldie,

This memory does not work in said motherboard (NF7-S).
I tried it (with an XP2200 and a XP2500 Barton). I know good Kingston works on the NF7-S.

I was wondering if the KT600 Mobos might be less picky than the Nforce 2 boards. I know the memory works fine in an ECS K7S5A Pro but I'm looking for a better board than that (not that that is a bad one).

Thanks for the input anyway Oldie.

The loving are the daring!

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
what about with vdimm increases?

Logic would lead me to beleive the slower the chipset is in benchies would mean less stress on memory and therefore the abilitity to run [-peep-] :). So get the slowest chipset you can lay your hands on. The nforce is not 1 of them! maybe look into some offerings from sis and ali too.

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a procesor
110% BX fanboy

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Vdimm mod, wow interesting <A HREF="http://www.motherboardfaqs.com/news.php" target="_new"> motherboardfaqs </A>

Nice site!

Anyway the NF7 is gainfully employed with slightly better memory.

I just found out that this memory also comes in "dual channel" format but costs a little more. Anyway this memory stick needs to be gainfully employed.

Thx.

Yeah, a voltage boost can do wonders. I'm using a mushkin pc2100 stick until my faster generic memory arrives. I asked for winbond or hynix chipsets, but you never know what you'll get with generic. I increased my memory voltage from 2.5 to 2.7, and it runs perfectly stable at 333.

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Looks normal to me. :-(
Just tested it in a gigabyte 7VT600 no luck there.
Sometimes it would pass memory test but then not let me in to bios. When I hit Del to enter the bios all went dark or if I waited long enough. That was in dimm 3 but not in dimm 1.

This stick of memory is cursed!!! I will see if I can trade it for the pc133 in my friends K7S5A Pro. I can use that in a server or something.

TRENDING THREADS