Please Help! I think Ive blown my MOBO

amaxwellqwert

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2003
I had 12 volt case fan on my my asus a7v133 MOBO, it ran fine for months. It was a bit noisy so i decided to add an on/off switch to it.
I started up the computer and it began to run, then I thought I would see if the switch worked so I turned it off (it was just an inline on/off switch). But when I turned the switch off EVERY FAN in the whole computer including the cpu fan (but not the gfx card fan) stopped working.
Any Idea on whats happend?
Have I destroyed my MOBO?
Could I fix it?, or is it a throw it on the junk pile?
It boots up, and does a ram count, but I only ran it for 10 seconds to see how bad the damage was. I dont wana fry the cpu.

Thanks for you help.

svend

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2003
you might have shorted out your 12vdc supply, if you have a volt meter you could check the supply voltage if your readings are 0VDC there is your problem. I don't know if your supply has a fuse in it but you could take it apart to see and replace it. If you have another power supply around hook it up and see if your fans start working. Your cpu runs off of 3.3vdc different powersupply module.

when all is said and done, what you've done for your neighbor is most important

amaxwellqwert

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2003
I just replaced the power supply with the power supply of the computer Im now working on.
Unfortunately the fans did not work. This probably meens Ive shorted the motherboard itself, right????
Off to ebay i go to find a new computer.
Thanks for your help

TRENDING THREADS