sb live drivers not recognized...win me

G

trusty old celery 300a/bh6 now is my son's toy (it's great to be a dad..and owner of system below)....i cannot get the sb live card drivers to be accepted. specifically, with the sb card in slots 3, 4 or 5 upon boot and entering win me, the new hardware is detected. i cancel out and run the latest liveware/driver software. the dialog boxes indicate files/drivers etc are being installed. then just before the "thou must restart" win me pops up and detects new hardware (multimedia device) and seeks driver for the sb card. regardless of whether i cancel this, leave it alone or try installing driver...when i restart the pc, there is no driver loaded for the sb card!

the audio hq etc software is installed but win me doesn't seem to accept that device drivers have been installed.

i've tried slots 3/4/5. i've uninstalled all sb software/drivers (incl registry), s/d, pulled & reinserted card etc.

last thing to try is reinstall win me.

background: this pc/sb card worked fine under win 98 fe (sb card was in slot 2). i replaced the HD and got a Promise ata 100 pci card. decided to upgr(?) to win me for sys restore. to get the Promise card to work, i had to put it in slot 2.

celery300a@464 on abit bh6 (most current bios)
asus tnt vid card agp
adaptec scsi for cdr (slot 1)
WD 13 gb w/ promise udma 100 pci (slot 2)
sb live (eeriely silent in slot 3)
linksys 100nic (slot 4)

TIA! mike
dad's toy...antec sx1030 case w/ abit kt7raid, 900 tbird, radeon, plextor 12/10/32a, kenwood 72x, sb live, linksys 100, jaz, zip, klipsch pro2.400 running win me nicely displayed on mitsu diamond plus 91 19" (MW4 is fun)

wwildbh

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2001
I had the same problem. I came to the conculsiong that it is the combination of SB and the Linksys nic. I could not get SB live to run if I installed both cards at the same time. Install the linksys card last. It worked for me.