Sign in with
Your question

What to do with high powered dumb terminals?

Last response: in Business Computing
January 28, 2013 5:38:47 PM

Hello,

We have multiple professional workstation machines, however, recently we have moved almost 100% to the cloud. These machine have a lot of resources that are now unused. Can anyone give me an idea of what to do (if anything ) with these unused resources? These $1500 workstations are now just dumb terminal for connecting to our cloud.
January 28, 2013 5:46:39 PM

Ubuntu Cloud?

Make another cloud out of them for computing power/storage for anything you might need.
January 28, 2013 5:46:50 PM

folding at home
Related resources
January 28, 2013 5:47:11 PM

Battlefield 3
January 28, 2013 5:50:42 PM

You could use the spare resources to run something like Folding@Home, which is a distributed computing project that uses donated spare CPU cycles to simulate protein folding. This is very important to medical research including developing new drugs and investigating the mechanisms behind cancer, Alzheimer's disease and various other conditions. I think it can use unused GPU resources too. You can visit http://folding.stanford.edu/ to find out more.

There are many other similar distributed computing projects out there, if this one doesn't appeal to you.
January 28, 2013 5:56:11 PM

Quite frankly you should sell them, or at least most of them, and replace them with thin clients. If your not even using them why keep them. values just gonna drop
January 28, 2013 6:11:31 PM

Many of them are still under warranty, and being a business, I am not so sure we can sell them with ease. My boss is looking for ideas, so I'm asking the world. We are using them for terminals now, and but to try and sell all 50+ workstations and turnaround and buy dumb terminals/thin clients.. we would probably lose money.
January 28, 2013 6:12:39 PM

Thanks for the replies though.
January 28, 2013 7:19:00 PM

Selling them to buy thin clients aren't going to be a money making operation. Most used computers will net you 25-50% of the original cost. If you want to get rid of them, and go thin client - I would suggest donating them to local charities, schools or needy families - at least you get a tax write off and a bit of good publicity.

January 28, 2013 7:33:41 PM

you could strip the drives out of them and make one local file server. with a lot of storage space basically the same thing as a NAS just with a much more powerful processor and more then likely hardware depending on the motherboards and parts used just max out one computer with parts from another. and upgrade the power supply on the intended computer. and use it as a client side back up incase you loose internet connectivity and cant access files from the cloud.
January 28, 2013 7:39:21 PM

and you would have spare parts in the off chance that one of the parts fail. and then donate the rest to charity. or offer them up as media servers and have an in house music collection. / video libary
January 28, 2013 8:48:21 PM

Despite being 100% in the cloud, what were the computers used for before and why are they no longer needed?

Excuse my lack of cloud knowledge, but does the cloud now do all the work the computers used to do?
January 28, 2013 9:52:20 PM

file servers
or
stream digital signage
February 12, 2013 9:24:33 AM

ronintexas said:
Selling them to buy thin clients aren't going to be a money making operation. Most used computers will net you 25-50% of the original cost. If you want to get rid of them, and go thin client - I would suggest donating them to local charities, schools or needy families - at least you get a tax write off and a bit of good publicity.

so getting $750 out of a sale for hardware you can't/don't use and buying a $250 thin client is a loss? That's some funky math
!