Weak signal -- interference?

The Netgear MA401 (PCMCIA Card) is connected to Netgear MR814v2
(Router), which in turn is connected to a Cable modem. I am in
Win98SE.

The wireless signal varies 0-60%; and the Link quality, 20-30%. So
I can't connect to the internet.

The MA401, the router and cable modem are all within 4 feet of each
other. The wireless router is on a shelf above my laptop. The light
on MA401 is steady green.

It was working when I used it about 6 months ago. And I stopped using
it until 2 weeks ago. I haven't change any of the configuration
during that time.

Also, when I tried it last Sun/Mon(?) in the morning wee hours, both
the Signal and Link quality is close to 100%

So my conclusion is that I have interference coming from an adjacent
apartment. But I don't know how do to pin down the source of that
interference. Any help would be appreciated.

Or if the problem is something else, please advise.

My wireless settings are as follows:

Channel: 6
WEP authentication type: Automatic

If there is any other information you need, please let me know.
4 answers Last reply
More about weak signal interference

    <0b3hks001@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
    > The Netgear MA401 (PCMCIA Card) is connected to Netgear MR814v2
    > (Router), which in turn is connected to a Cable modem. I am in
    > Win98SE.
    >
    > The wireless signal varies 0-60%; and the Link quality, 20-30%. So
    > I can't connect to the internet.
    >
    > The MA401, the router and cable modem are all within 4 feet of each
    > other. The wireless router is on a shelf above my laptop. The light
    > on MA401 is steady green.
    >
    > It was working when I used it about 6 months ago. And I stopped using
    > it until 2 weeks ago. I haven't change any of the configuration
    > during that time.
    >
    > Also, when I tried it last Sun/Mon(?) in the morning wee hours, both
    > the Signal and Link quality is close to 100%
    >
    > So my conclusion is that I have interference coming from an adjacent
    > apartment. But I don't know how do to pin down the source of that
    > interference. Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Or if the problem is something else, please advise.
    >
    > My wireless settings are as follows:
    >
    > Channel: 6
    > WEP authentication type: Automatic
    >
    > If there is any other information you need, please let me know.

    If you have already tried channels 1 and 11 with no improvement, I think it
    is still worthwhile to install and run Network Stumbler, a free monitoring
    program. http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/ See if it works with the
    network card in your PC. Run it with your AP turned off. See if there are
    other networks blasting you.

    It certainly could be another network or networks. As I understand it, a
    wireless phone will only interfere when it is being used (someone correct me
    if I am wrong). Ditto for microwave ovens. There are probably other such
    devices too but none comes to mind immediately.

    When you tried it in the wee hours of the morning, in addition to the specs
    you reported, did it work well at that time?

    If all else fails, you might have to talk to adjacent neighbors and find out
    if they have a wireless or other new wireless or electronic gadgets.

    --
    Bob Alston

    bobalston9 AT aol DOT com

    ---

    Try changing the channel to 11 or 1. Perhaps it is interference from a
    2.4GHz cordless phone. Also, can you move the access point to another room
    for testing?

    Jeff

    <0b3hks001@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
    > The Netgear MA401 (PCMCIA Card) is connected to Netgear MR814v2
    > (Router), which in turn is connected to a Cable modem. I am in
    > Win98SE.
    >
    > The wireless signal varies 0-60%; and the Link quality, 20-30%. So
    > I can't connect to the internet.
    >
    > The MA401, the router and cable modem are all within 4 feet of each
    > other. The wireless router is on a shelf above my laptop. The light
    > on MA401 is steady green.
    >
    > It was working when I used it about 6 months ago. And I stopped using
    > it until 2 weeks ago. I haven't change any of the configuration
    > during that time.
    >
    > Also, when I tried it last Sun/Mon(?) in the morning wee hours, both
    > the Signal and Link quality is close to 100%
    >
    > So my conclusion is that I have interference coming from an adjacent
    > apartment. But I don't know how do to pin down the source of that
    > interference. Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Or if the problem is something else, please advise.
    >
    > My wireless settings are as follows:
    >
    > Channel: 6
    > WEP authentication type: Automatic
    >
    > If there is any other information you need, please let me know.

    Bob, a while back I checked with my DECT phone manufacturer (Doro).
    Their view was that DECT phones can be communicating with each other
    at any time, not just when they were in use. They couldn't give me a
    clear explanation of what kind of traffic would be generated
    spontaneously from one handset to the other, but I concluded it must
    be some kind of heartbeat type signal.

    Phil

    "Bob Alston" <bobalston9NOSPAM@aol.com> wrote in message news:<9tM4d.289260$Lj.241103@fed1read03>...
> [...]

    > > other. The wireless router is on a shelf above my laptop. The light
    > > on MA401 is steady green.
    > >
    > > It was working when I used it about 6 months ago. And I stopped using
    > > it until 2 weeks ago. I haven't change any of the configuration
    > > during that time.
    > >
    > > Also, when I tried it last Sun/Mon(?) in the morning wee hours, both
    > > the Signal and Link quality is close to 100%
    > >
    > > So my conclusion is that I have interference coming from an adjacent
    > > apartment. But I don't know how do to pin down the source of that
    > > interference. Any help would be appreciated.
    > >
    > > Or if the problem is something else, please advise.
    > >
    > > My wireless settings are as follows:
    > >
    > > Channel: 6
    > > WEP authentication type: Automatic
    > >
    > > If there is any other information you need, please let me know.
    >
    > If you have already tried channels 1 and 11 with no improvement, I think it

    Actually, that is one thing that I didn't try before I post. I have
    found a channel that works.

    > is still worthwhile to install and run Network Stumbler, a free monitoring
    > program. http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/ See if it works with the
    > network card in your PC. Run it with your AP turned off. See if there are
    > other networks blasting you.

    The NetStumbler did not work with my wireless card.

    Thanks for the suggestions/pointers.

Wireless Wireless Networking