What to load first

G

This may be a stupid question but I want to make this event as painless as I can. I have resently purchased XP Pro. Is there any particular order I should load my software? ie: Printer, MS Office, Modem? or does it matter?

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I might elaborate on that:

Operating system
Chipset drivers
Service Pack
Extra hotfixes and compatibility + security updates
DirectX (If necessary, after the service pack.)
Lan Driver
Sound card driver
Video driver
Monitor driver and color profile
Printer
Scanner
Extra Firewire/USB peripherals
Software utilities
Personal applications

I've found that adding the video driver too soon can lead to conflicts that are difficult to troubleshoot. Making sure that the latest version of DirectX is in place before adding the sound and video card drivers is also a good idea. And if you are going to install a service pack, and don't have it slipstreamed onto an installation disk, getting it in place before upgrading from the default drivers can ease the possible frustrations of a new installation.

Toey

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=328&s=91c282f2e5207e99b7a652ee13b3512a" target="_new"><font color=green>My System Rigs</font color=green></A>

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/" target="_new"><b><font color=purple>BTVILLARIN.com</font color=purple></b></A> - <i><font color=orange>Your Computer Questions Answered</font color=orange></i>

BunnyStroker

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
...and if you do even <b>one</b> out of order your whole system will <font color=red>explode</font color=red>!

<b>1.4 Ghz AMD T-Bird underclocked to 1 Ghz...just to be safe!</b>

G

Ok, just when I thought I was going to be ok on this matter. What the hell is the chipset? I don't think I have ever loaded a chipset driver.

RichPLS

Champion
You probally have an Intel, Via or Sis chipset on your board. It is the chipset that handles the transfer of memory calls to and from your processor.

========================
Try everything...
Do not be afraid of failure, for this is how we learn and grow...
Live life to the fullest...
Do not regret what you have not yet done!!!

G

I have an AMD Athalon. I would assume that the chipset driver is on a cd?

RichPLS

Champion
Yes, but you can usually download the latest most current drivers from your motherboard manufacturer...

========================
Try everything...
Do not be afraid of failure, for this is how we learn and grow...
Live life to the fullest...
Do not regret what you have not yet done!!!

bjpatrick

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2004
Remember to defrag after installing all of the software on a new system. (Well, after you have updated all of your software after it is installed)

Verizon_DSL_tech

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2004
Actually I have a couple things to add. I have found from extensive experience that before installing any of these things, to install the Windows a firewall first, then a virus scanner, then the windows updates and finally at least 2 spyware scanners (spyware scanners are an absolute necessity on any machine). After a fresh installation of Windows, you wouldn't believe how many security holes there are and how vulnerable the machine is. The moment you establish a connection with the Internet, your computer will be bombarded with port scans. So it's good to have the firewall then virus scanner before establishing a connection to the Internet.

G

If there are no updates on the chipset do I really need to load the drivers again?

skinnyjoint

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2004
verizon are u really serious all the [-peep-] on there rofl 2 spywares at least. learn to get a router and that will get you online at least enough to get updates then worry bout other crap later

Verizon_DSL_tech

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2004
For your information, spyware is just as serious as viruses. There is spyware out there whose sole purpose is to to be malicious. It's best to make the computer as secure as possible before attempting to install everything else. A router won't block spyware. Spyware can damage computers and can prevent the Internet from working altogether, so it's just as important to have a spyware scanner as it is to have a virus scanner and firewall and Windows updates. A router won't replace a software firewall either, despite what many might say.