SiS 755 puts away VIA on A64

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Like this was a surprize, SiS has made better chipsets than VIA since they introduced the 735 a couple years ago. Now if we can just get mobo makers to give us good BOARDS using them.

Companies like Asus say "Look, they're inexpensive, put them on a crappy board and sell it cheap!" without giving a moments thought that these are actually BETTER chipsets! Luckily for us, DFI promises a TOP END board using the 755!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
Time will change this... Because users will want the best Chipset for A64, and today it's SiS... If ASUS don't build a good board with it, they will loose sales to DFI or other board makers...

I'm pretty sure my next MB will not be an ASUS, even if they are widely available, they are so overpriced! At the time I bought my A7N8X (non-deluxe) I paid almost 25% more for it. At that time, I would have to wait 2 weeks for another board.

That's it!

--
Would you buy a GPS enabled soap bar?

superpsa

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2002
You can guarantee a PC Chips/ECS/Matsonic/Syntax...will use the SiS755. I think ASRock will release one rather than ASUS.

AMD Is An Anagram Of MAD, Intel Is An Anagram Of INLET, Cyrix...Ah Who Cares?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Look at the P4 chipsets from SiS: The 648 was fine, but Asus's board was horribly unstable, and the reason was likely that they did a poor job of equalizing the DIMM trace lengths. I actually saw a picture of the sloppy job they did. Gigabyte made a strong 648 board, but few people bought it. And when the Asus board was unstable but the Gigabyte board wasn't, did people blame Asus? No, they blamed SiS!

Now Gigabyte makes a top end 655FX board. It's around 2/3 the price of competative Intel chipset boards, and has around 97/100 the performance. I don't see anyone buying that one either.

Look at the SiS 735, it came out when the KT266 was ruling the roost in the AMD world, and was a FAR better chipset in nearly every aspect. But people were stuck with few choices for motherboards, ECS or Leadtek. MSI came out with a 745 board, but didn't give it the standard array of performance options.

As long as SiS sells their chipsets cheaply, companies will feel compelled to put them on their cheapest boards. And they haven't made a name for themselves at the consumer level, so working their way up the pricing scale would be nearly impossible, no matter how good their product.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
Probably SiS will get credibility with good motherboard reviews.

I remember the day where DFI, MSI and Gigabyte had bad reviews... This have changed!

But, usually good company get good sells when they are able to prove they are good! But this takes some time!

--
Would you buy a GPS enabled soap bar?