Dual-Channel DDR400 Support

rXd

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2003
Dual-Channel DDR400 Support

The 128-bit TwinBank DDR Memory architecture doubles the DDR 400 (PC3200) bandwidth. System bottlenecks are eliminated with balanced architecture and peak bandwidth up to 6.4GB/s.
I was wondering if this was limited to only PC3200 or could you possibly put in a PC3500 or maybe even a PC4200?

Adding on, does anyone suggest any AMD motherboards, ram, video card, and cpu(preferably Athlon XP) for my new computer? I'm going to be spending about $1500-$2000 Canadian dollars on it. I'm not sure if I should just wait out on the P4-EE, P5, AMD 64, AMD 64FX, right now it's a tad bit expensive.

On second thought, after seeing those benchmarks, I might consider getting a P4 3.2ghz if I can afford it rather than the Athlon. They don't really compare -_- but I still love AMD heh.. Any recommendations or suggestions would be nice.. Thanks again<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by rXd on 11/25/03 01:04 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The problem is, you can't take anything you read from manufacturers at face value. The XP3200+ only has 3.2GB/s of bandwidth, so a chipset offering 6.4GB/s of RAM bandwidth at the same clock does little to help performance. The P4 needs it, AMD doesn't. Also remember that those are peak values you'll really never see.

PC3500, 3700, 4000, and 5000 are all overclocked versions of PC3200. The system treats them as PC3200, but they're less likely to fail as you overclock. And since the system treats them as PC3200, all the same features are available (including Dual Channel).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>