Need help finding cheap S478 4 DDR slot mobo

kurtalden

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2003
Hello all

I have a recently orphaned (due to upgrade) P4 2.0 Northwood and 2 * 256 PC2100 184 pin DIMMS and have decided to build a pc to use as a server. I just need it to run 24/7, no frills.

I am having a heck of a job finding a cheap mobo to use though. I need P4 FSB 400 support, 4 memory slots (so I can use my memory then add some) and that's about it but no motherboards seem to offer more than 3 memory slots except for the very expensive ones. I'm trying to do this on the cheap and am just looking for a plain (no need for 1394, S-ATA, onboard sound or video, etc) cheap motherboard just to sit there and work, preferably a Gigabyte or Asus. Dual channel would be good but it's defintely optional.

Does anyone have any advice on what options I have?

Thanks in advance
Kurt

Monarch computers has a gigabyte 8ip900 for $72 shipped. It has 4 ddram slots for running in single or dual mode. It has support for 400 fsb northwoods, 533, or 800 fsb p4's. I beleive it also has sata support and onboard lan and sound. Anything cheaper would be made by ecs or have an older chipset. This one has the newer 865pe chipset.
I just ordered a gigabyte 8sq800 with 4 ddram slots for only $30 shipped from newegg (refurbished- bare board only).

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can get the Abit IS7 for about $100. That's inexpensive for a good quality board. It should be able to run your pair of PC2100 modules in Dual Channel mode with your current processor.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>