Add a second processor

Hello everyone !!

I don't know if this is the right group for my question, since it's more
about hardware, but I'll try:

I have an old machine, an HP Vectra 486/33U, which used to be a server (a
long time ago ;) ). Inside there a two processor sockets: the first one is
occupied by an intel 486 processor running at 33 Mhz, i.e. the original
processor, and the other one is empty. I recently found an intel 486 DX
processor running at 66 Mhz, on a computer which was about to be thrown
away.

My question is can I use this processor on the computer: can I use it as a
second processor or do they have to be similar. If it's possible, which one
do I have to put on the main socket and by chance, do you know by chance the
jumper setting ?
On the contrary, if this is impossible, can I still replace the 33Mhz proc
by the 66 Mhz one ???

Thanks for your answers,

Federico

It has been many years since I touched one of the big old HP Vectra 486/33U
computers. I seem to recall that the processor often delivered with one of
these computers was a 486/SX, for which the second socket could be used to
install a 487 (!!!), a rare animal indeed.

In any case, the 486/33U will not run as a dual processor computer, despite the
presence of two sockets.

Carefully scrutinize the markings for the jumpers on the motherboard. I think
that your best prospects for installing a faster CPU would involve removal of
the original CPU from the non-ZIF socket. CAREFULLY pry out the CPU using a
screwdriver with a thin flat blade, gradually working the processor out of the
socket by prying on all 4 sides.

In addition to the 66MHz 486, you can also install a 486-DX4 running at 100MHz,
but only the 5 volt processor marked "OverDrive"... Ben Myers