GSM - CDMA - Next big thing???

The current state of affairs:

CDMA -> Best coverage in the USA
GSM -> SIM Card portability, best for international use

I've been told that everyone world wide will be moving to some other
"big thing" in the near future that will obsolete CDMA and GSM as
well. (I would imagine that our phones will be obsoleted too?)

Has anyone heard anything about this?
6 answers Last reply
More about cdma thing

    On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 09:29:05 -0400, singha_lvr
    <singha_lvr@charter.net> wrote:

    >The current state of affairs:
    >
    >CDMA -> Best coverage in the USA
    >GSM -> SIM Card portability, best for international use

    Now phones have been announced that are capable of both CDMA and GSM.

    >I've been told that everyone world wide will be moving to some other
    >"big thing" in the near future that will obsolete CDMA and GSM as
    >well.

    How near?

    >(I would imagine that our phones will be obsoleted too?)

    Don't count on it. Most consumers need a "plug and play" device - i.e.
    no configuration required.

    >Has anyone heard anything about this?

    There're WiFi phones (security nightmare and potential interference
    nightmare) and then there are "hooked to an ethernet port" Voice over
    IP phones.

    If you look to wide area coverage from your mobile phone network
    provider don't count on there being a replacement via a different
    service in the near future.

    Actually, if you look at Cingular's GSM coverage, you will see that the
    coverage of GSM in the USA is actually not that bad.

    "singha_lvr" <singha_lvr@charter.net> ???
    news:92jnf0hu04eh978tuomfq558ra8f109cmh@4ax.com ???...

    > The current state of affairs:
    >
    > CDMA -> Best coverage in the USA
    > GSM -> SIM Card portability, best for international use
    >
    > I've been told that everyone world wide will be moving to some other
    > "big thing" in the near future that will obsolete CDMA and GSM as
    > well. (I would imagine that our phones will be obsoleted too?)
    >

    > Has anyone heard anything about this?

    This is particularly true now that the rural carriers are implementing GSM
    as well.

    Stu

    Stuart Friedman wrote:

    > This is particularly true now that the rural carriers are implementing GSM
    > as well.
    >
    > Stu
    > "Jim" <Jim@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Actually, if you look at Cingular's GSM coverage, you will see that the
    >> coverage of GSM in the USA is actually not that bad.
    >>
    >> "singha_lvr" <singha_lvr@charter.net> ???
    >> news:92jnf0hu04eh978tuomfq558ra8f109cmh@4ax.com ???...
    >> >
    >> > The current state of affairs:
    >> >
    >> > CDMA -> Best coverage in the USA
    >> > GSM -> SIM Card portability, best for international use
    >> >
    >> > I've been told that everyone world wide will be moving to some other
    >> > "big thing" in the near future that will obsolete CDMA and GSM as
    >> > well. (I would imagine that our phones will be obsoleted too?)
    >> >

    >> > Has anyone heard anything about this?

    At the moment, I have ATT/Cingular GSM (but I cancelled my account
    effective next week), and Verizon CDMA.

    I live and work in the Washington, DC, metro area.

    The GSM coverage is very strong outdoors in many parts of downtown DC,
    but spotty in DC outside of the midtown area, terrible inside many
    modern office buildings, and virtually disappears in southern Anne
    Arundel and Calvert Counties, alongside Chesapeake Bay. It has NOT
    improved in the nearly one year I have had GSM.

    That's why I switched to Verizon. The coverage is far superior in the
    entire DC Metro area. And the customer service is better, too. ATT
    Wireless customer service is an abomination. On three occasions I ended
    up with call center personnel in India who spoke about the same quality
    of English as my pet cats.

    Also, Verizon has owned and operated stores in my area staffed with
    decent technical people. The ATT stores are staffed with order clerks.

    --
    A vote for Nader is a vote for Bush;
    A vote for Bush is a vote for Apocalypse.

    On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 08:12:11 -0400, Harry Krause
    <piedtypecase@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Also, Verizon has owned and operated stores in my area staffed with
    >decent technical people. The ATT stores are staffed with order clerks.

    No doubt that Verizon has the best customer service. (I've think I
    may have had one bad experience but was resolved quickly after a
    complaint.)

    I was just asking about the technology itself.

    Thanks to everyone for your responses.
  6. This is one old thread huh. Wonder how these guys lifes are going currently.

Verizon GSM SIM Card Internet Service Providers