  • SIM Card
  • Internet Service Providers
Last response: in Network Providers
July 19, 2004 1:29:05 PM

The current state of affairs:

CDMA -> Best coverage in the USA
GSM -> SIM Card portability, best for international use

I've been told that everyone world wide will be moving to some other
"big thing" in the near future that will obsolete CDMA and GSM as
well. (I would imagine that our phones will be obsoleted too?)

Has anyone heard anything about this?

More about : gsm cdma big thing

July 20, 2004 12:14:05 PM

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 09:29:05 -0400, singha_lvr
<singha_lvr@charter.net> wrote:

>The current state of affairs:
>
>CDMA -> Best coverage in the USA
>GSM -> SIM Card portability, best for international use

Now phones have been announced that are capable of both CDMA and GSM.

>I've been told that everyone world wide will be moving to some other
>"big thing" in the near future that will obsolete CDMA and GSM as
>well.

How near?

>(I would imagine that our phones will be obsoleted too?)

Don't count on it. Most consumers need a "plug and play" device - i.e.
no configuration required.

>Has anyone heard anything about this?

There're WiFi phones (security nightmare and potential interference
nightmare) and then there are "hooked to an ethernet port" Voice over
IP phones.

If you look to wide area coverage from your mobile phone network
provider don't count on there being a replacement via a different
service in the near future.
July 20, 2004 6:34:00 PM

Actually, if you look at Cingular's GSM coverage, you will see that the
coverage of GSM in the USA is actually not that bad.

"singha_lvr" <singha_lvr@charter.net> ???
news:92jnf0hu04eh978tuomfq558ra8f109cmh@4ax.com ???...

> The current state of affairs:
>
> CDMA -> Best coverage in the USA
> GSM -> SIM Card portability, best for international use
>
> I've been told that everyone world wide will be moving to some other
> "big thing" in the near future that will obsolete CDMA and GSM as
> well. (I would imagine that our phones will be obsoleted too?)
>

> Has anyone heard anything about this?
July 22, 2004 3:49:41 PM

This is particularly true now that the rural carriers are implementing GSM
as well.

Stu
"Jim" <Jim@nospam.com> wrote in message

> Actually, if you look at Cingular's GSM coverage, you will see that the
> coverage of GSM in the USA is actually not that bad.
>
> "singha_lvr" <singha_lvr@charter.net> ???
> news:92jnf0hu04eh978tuomfq558ra8f109cmh@4ax.com ???...
> >
> > The current state of affairs:
> >
> > CDMA -> Best coverage in the USA
> > GSM -> SIM Card portability, best for international use
> >
> > I've been told that everyone world wide will be moving to some other
> > "big thing" in the near future that will obsolete CDMA and GSM as
> > well. (I would imagine that our phones will be obsoleted too?)
> >

> > Has anyone heard anything about this?

Anonymous
July 22, 2004 3:49:42 PM

Stuart Friedman wrote:

> This is particularly true now that the rural carriers are implementing GSM
> as well.
>
> Stu
> "Jim" <Jim@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Actually, if you look at Cingular's GSM coverage, you will see that the
>> coverage of GSM in the USA is actually not that bad.
>>
>> "singha_lvr" <singha_lvr@charter.net> ???
>> news:92jnf0hu04eh978tuomfq558ra8f109cmh@4ax.com ???...
>> >
>> > The current state of affairs:
>> >
>> > CDMA -> Best coverage in the USA
>> > GSM -> SIM Card portability, best for international use
>> >
>> > I've been told that everyone world wide will be moving to some other
>> > "big thing" in the near future that will obsolete CDMA and GSM as
>> > well. (I would imagine that our phones will be obsoleted too?)
>> >

>> > Has anyone heard anything about this?

At the moment, I have ATT/Cingular GSM (but I cancelled my account
effective next week), and Verizon CDMA.

I live and work in the Washington, DC, metro area.

The GSM coverage is very strong outdoors in many parts of downtown DC,
but spotty in DC outside of the midtown area, terrible inside many
modern office buildings, and virtually disappears in southern Anne
Arundel and Calvert Counties, alongside Chesapeake Bay. It has NOT
improved in the nearly one year I have had GSM.

That's why I switched to Verizon. The coverage is far superior in the
entire DC Metro area. And the customer service is better, too. ATT
Wireless customer service is an abomination. On three occasions I ended
up with call center personnel in India who spoke about the same quality
of English as my pet cats.

Also, Verizon has owned and operated stores in my area staffed with
decent technical people. The ATT stores are staffed with order clerks.

--
A vote for Nader is a vote for Bush;
A vote for Bush is a vote for Apocalypse.

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 08:12:11 -0400, Harry Krause
<piedtypecase@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Also, Verizon has owned and operated stores in my area staffed with
>decent technical people. The ATT stores are staffed with order clerks.

No doubt that Verizon has the best customer service. (I've think I
may have had one bad experience but was resolved quickly after a
complaint.)

I was just asking about the technology itself.

Thanks to everyone for your responses.
!