Sign in with
Your question

What system is better?

Last response: in Video Games
January 18, 2010 12:33:37 AM

what system is better? PS3 or XBOX 360?

More about : system

January 18, 2010 3:35:33 AM

Some will disagree with me, but I have PS3 and think it's the better system. I got this for Christmas. Keep in mind, I originally wanted an XBOX 360, because of price, IE buy an Arcade edition and buy a hard drive off of ebay to put on it. However, I saw so many things about the RROD(Red Ring of Death) for the 360 and it scared me away from that system due to overheating issues. Now I know everyone says well the new Jasper chipset supposedly fixed that, but a friend of mine got a new 360 for Christmas and they had issues with it overheating if they had it sitting horizontally, but when they turned vertically, they said that it did fine. But to me that's a red flag.

One main thing too I like about the PS3 is the blu-ray support. I currently use it hooked via an hdmi cable to my 22 inch monitor, and even in 720p and 1080i(the max resolutions my monitor supports), graphics on the PS3 are amazing. This is coming from a PC gamer.

Main reason I wanted a console was because they just weren't making all the games on PC that consoles got, namely NCAA football, Madden, etc.

PS3 has built in wifi, you can upgrade your hard drive later on. Like me, I run my PS3 only a few feet from my wireless router, so if I want to use online, I don't have to worry about running a cable. However, you can get wifi on 360, but I think it costs 100+ for just the wifi adapter.

Online, it's said 360 is better, however PS3 is free. I haven't really used either so don't know too much there. I like however not having to buy batteries, as I can recharge my controllers on PS3 via a standard usb cable running out of the PS3. Also, I'm sure the 360 does well at this as well, but I can take a standard dvd and play it on the PS3, and the upconversion is pretty good I think.

Like on the Patriot, I have that DVD, awesome movie I think, but I picked up things watching it in hi def it seems that I had missed before. However, one major thing I believe 360 has going for it is that it has more games, however, as PS3 is getting cheaper now, that may even up a bit more.

Here's what I think and what I thought at Christmas, if you want to spend 200 and don't want to spend as much, I'd look at the 360 arcade edition, it'll get you started, and you can hop on ebay later, and buy a hard drive to upgrade with, that will get you a couple of extra games off the bat. However, if you don't mind price as much, and you are going to look at the 360 elite anyway, then I think for your 300 bucks, I would not consider the xbox at that point and just get a PS3.

I will likely do this myself when I get a little extra cash, but check out squaretrade.com, they sell 3 year warranties, and the guarantee is supposed to be that if you have an issue, that within 5 days they either get your product fixed, or that they send you a check for what you paid for it. One of my relatives actually bought some warranties for appliances in their rental houses through them, and had a knob on a washer break, apparently this company sent them a check to replace the unit So you can't beat that. I believe you have 90 days on something you buy from a retailer, and 30 days from the time you buy something on ebay.

For example, for my PS3(I've got the 250 gb slim), it would be 49.99 for the warranty. For one costing 299.99 they quote at just under 40 bucks. For say the Xbox at 199.99, they quote 27.99 for me. So especially if you grab the xbox, I would definitely get a warranty similar to that so that you are not waiting for weeks for your system to be fixed.

It's up to you though, either way I think you will be happy, but if I had the extra, I'd go for the PS3.
January 18, 2010 11:46:41 AM

PS3 is certainly more powerful than xbox360....but you know xbox is backed by Microsoft which gives it a big leap over PS3....
Related resources
January 19, 2010 12:41:36 AM

Not really, PS3 is backed by sony which is also a multimillion dollar company. Not to mention Microsoft has not been in the gaming business as long as playstation. Either way, I think the OP will be happy, but the thing that really drove me away from a 360 was the problems I hear of people having with them. This coming from a guy who had the original xbox back in the day...
January 19, 2010 1:35:13 PM

sayantan said:
PS3 is certainly more powerful than xbox360....but you know xbox is backed by Microsoft which gives it a big leap over PS3....

The only good thing about having Microsoft back the XBox is that it can pay off big game companies to make games solely for PC/XBox....Oh wait, just like Sony did with Blu-ray and why HD DVD doesn't exist anymore? Ya, PS3 is better.
January 19, 2010 1:46:38 PM

Check out the games available and upcoming for each then choose.

Don't forget though, Lian-Li do a gorgeous case for the 360...
January 20, 2010 5:45:04 AM

mavanhel said:
The only good thing about having Microsoft back the XBox is that it can pay off big game companies to make games solely for PC/XBox....Oh wait, just like Sony did with Blu-ray and why HD DVD doesn't exist anymore? Ya, PS3 is better.

yeah,exactly....that's the only plus point of buying xbox360....besides the immensely popular games like halo,gears of war are released exclusively for xbox
January 20, 2010 12:33:11 PM

The choice seems obvious to me... I don't own either console and have no fanboi preferences to either.

1. Free online gaming with PS3
2. Wireless comes with PS3, no need to buy more crap
3. PS3 plays Blu-Ray disks

Both have netflix, media streaming and all that jazz. Both have good game titles, though there are differences in the titles available.
January 26, 2010 8:38:45 AM

xbox only has few good exclusive games in my opinion, like the halo series and gears of war, so i like xbox more then ps3 also because i prefer controller and never had ps1/2/3 so i prefer to stick to xbox. Even if some people won't agree with me
!