Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Graphics Cards
  • FPS
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
January 18, 2010 9:50:07 AM

hi all,

i had a search but couldnt find much of an answer...

i am playing clear sky and whatever i seem to do it just kills my system to the point i am getting 20fps or lower at times!

i have tried various options such as turning off dynamic lighting and reducing the quality to medium/low, it helps a bit but not much.

i guess its the graphics card- maybe some other tips??

i have a e6600@2.4 stock speed
asus p5b motherboard
4gb corsair xms2 ram 1066mhz
evga 8800gts 320mb

resolution is 1440x900 due to the widescreen monitor

any help will be greatly appreciated, If i need a new graphics card can someone suggest something? im not looking to link 2 cards or change the MB.

Many thanks

More about : stalker clear sky kills fps

a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2010 10:07:03 AM

hmm i was getting reasonable fps on CS with an E6600 and a 8800GTX@ 1680x1050 and 6Gb of RAM. Can't test right now for actual numbers, but mid 30's ring a bell.

Try reducing texture detail specifically, the lower vRAM might be an issue. AA is off? All patched up? Latest drivers?
January 21, 2010 3:39:53 PM

odd. i tried it again today and i was getting about 50 FPS, only thing i didnt do was change the resolution and left it at the pre selected setting. ill try it again at 1400 and update
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 21, 2010 5:28:24 PM

I can test it tonight, and let you know what i get, i've a q9550 now, but its a very single threaded app so shouldn't matter.
January 21, 2010 8:15:35 PM

The low (by current standards) ram on the graphics card might be the problem.

Clear Skies is one of 2 games I can't max out at 19x12, it's a pretty demanding game.

I'd recommend setting all settings to their lowest, and start from there. Build up bit by bit, and see how your FPS fares. You may need to keep textures towards the low end, as the game may need 512MB or 1GB vram for the larger textures.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 4, 2010 4:31:17 PM

I would suggest changing from the 1.5.10 version to the "Clear Sky Complete" version. It fixes a lot of video problems from the previous versions. It is considered a mod, so it hasn't been released by Steam yet, but it is available on the net, just look for "Clear Sky Complete", download the update, install it with the provided instructions, and you should be good to go.
!