eipo

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2001
I was called out to work on a friends computer. The story she told me was that she had acciently unplugged the computer while it was on. Easy enough, she plugged it back in but the computer wouldn't boot (no case lights, no power supply fan spin). After confirming the power supply was hosed, we got a new. I checked to make sure the new one would work (powered up an old computer with it).
Then I plugged it into the motherboard (connectors the right way, and I had unplugged everything thing else) but as soon as I plugged it into the wall the power supply blew up. Blue flash, loud noise, puff of smoke.
The only two things I can think of is that by some wild chance we got a bad power supply, or that somehow the motherboard is damaged and is killing the power supplies.
Anyone had similar problems? Anyway to check without blowing a third power supply?

The computer is and old Dell PIII 800MHz
and the only info I could find on the mobo is that it is an Intel 815 chipset.

Thank all!

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
Wow!, what a spectacular show that musta been. Does a Dell require a proprietary power supply? If so, is that what you used? Only a wild guess, prolly not much help but will serve to bump until someone who has seen this pops along. Good Luck :)

XP 2000+
MSI KT3 ULTRA-2 KT333
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB PC2700
ABIT G4 Ti4200 OTES 64MB
Win98SE

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
Thats exactly it...if you want to use a 3rd party powersupply you must change the atx pinout...search on line for dell's pinout then switch the pins on your new powersupply. This can be done by using a small flathead screwdriver to bend the tabs that are holding each pin in the atx plug and then rearranging. Or you can find a peice of tubing that fits perfectly around the Atx pins and using this to compress the tabs holding the wires in place.

GL

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a procesor
110% BX fanboy

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LMAO! Back then Dell's used proprietary power supplies. You blew the new supply yourself, and may have blown HER motherboard as well. Nice job numbnuts.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Dell's proprietary supply is offset by 2 rows I believe, so that the 3.3v line is not on the ATX connector. They then use a connector that looks like an old AT power connector to carry the missing voltages. This type of connector is also found on some ATX power supplies and used for NLX riser card power, as well as supplemental power for old style ATX server boards, but again the wiring order is different. Therefor the proprietary Dell power supply has connections identicle to a standard NLX/Server compatable ATX 20-pin power supply, which was probably done intentionally to cause blown parts.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
Yet another example of a poor sap getting Delled.

Okay, brain. You don't like me, and I don't like you, but let's get through this thing and then I can continue killing you with beer. -- Homer Simpson.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
Hehe i cracked my dell open the other day and was wondering what that thing was.

I was like gee that looks like an old AT connector.

So you're saying that dell uses only 20 pin connectors? Fooy cause i wanted to use that powersupply to power my se440bx-2 mobo. Oh well...looks like i'll just change the connector.

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a procesor
110% BX fanboy

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Dell uses the same 20-pin connector found on most PC boards, just wired differently. Follow the color codes, I believe the colors are the same. You'll probably have to use the "AT" looking connector for the 3.3v lines.

The SE440BX-2 was available with either Dell or ATX power. Both solder points are present. Look at the board, the connections can be changed with a little soldering skill.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yep, you can turn an Intel board into a Dell board, or a Dell board into an Intel board, with a little soldering skill.