A game to really get into...?

catch440

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
Ive just bought a new i5 PC - its pretty good, decent memory and graphics card... just looking for a game I can really get my teeth into.
I love first person shooters (Crysis, L4D, COD etc) but find I play for an hour then want to move onto something else.

Where are all the RTS games now? Build your community, town, cities, defenses, develop armies and weapons, conquer the world!!!
RTS games that keep you engaged for a few hours!!!
I used to play Empires: Dawn of the Modern World but its really old now... What RTS games are rockin the RTS world now? Do they even exist??

I saw that Lord of the Rings2 RTS game (a couple of years old now i think) got good reviews - would we recommend it?
Any other suggestions?

Thanks guys

Pab

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
You can wait for Starcraft 2...otherwise try to get in the Heroes of Newerth beta...otherwise, just play DotA (RTS of all time)

catch440

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
Thanks for all your suggestions guys, appreciated!
Will be sure to check them all out.

MAXIMANIAC: I see you have a XFX 5770... its a card i;m thinkin of investing in - how you getting on with it? I've heard there are issues with drivers and Win7 x64 tho ??

maximaniac

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
I'm using vista, but I love the card so far. I haven't had any issues with it yet and I'm able to run all of my games on high w/ 1280x800 res (tf2, mass effect, bioshock, bf2). I could probably go with a higher res since I'm getting an avg 60 fps, but I haven't tried yet.
Just be aware that it takes up 2 slots in your rig, so you wanna make sure you have enough room.

abdul89

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
World in Conflict is prob one of the best RTS games of all time. However, theres no base building etc. Company of Heroes is also good.
Theres usually only about 1 really really good RTS game that comes out every year. Have a look at dawn of discovery (aka Anno 1404) as well.
One of my personal favorites is Lord of the rings:Battle for middle earth 2. I'll never get bored of that game :)
And then starcraft 2 is on its way!

maximaniac

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
not sure if it's still available, but I just purchased Company of Heroes and the 2 expansion packs (Opposing Fronts and Tales of Valor) for $12.95 on Steam. Yes, you read that right, twelve dollars and ninety-five cents. That's a great deal if you're looking for a really great rts game. It's definitely one of the most tactical and strategic rts's I've ever played. It's not a command & conquer-esque pump out the most units to win.

lele0124

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
i just heart about Lord of the Rings2 RTS game,but never have a try ,if

it is a great one ,ill try ,any tips for the game? :)