strange call from "Restricted"

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
July 19, 2004 7:06:26 PM

I just got a second strange phone call in as many weeks, this
time from an entity named "Restricted". No phone number, just
that name. It came with a strange ring tone from my phone. When I
picked up there was no connection that I could hear. Trying to
call back brought an "invalid number" error.

Is this some occasional Verizon function?

TIA
Anonymous
July 19, 2004 7:06:27 PM

pb <pb_public@operamail.com> wrote:
> I just got a second strange phone call in as many weeks, this
> time from an entity named "Restricted". No phone number, just
> that name. It came with a strange ring tone from my phone. When I
> picked up there was no connection that I could hear. Trying to
> call back brought an "invalid number" error.

> Is this some occasional Verizon function?

"restricted" means the caller is blocking caller ID, which can be
done from any landline or cellular phone by dialing *67 before the number.

July 20, 2004 12:28:21 AM

Steven J Sobol wrote:

> "restricted" means the caller is blocking caller ID, which can be
> done from any landline or cellular phone by dialing *67 before the number.

Would the LG 6000 phone assign a different ringtone to a blocked
Caller ID?? (I have only the standard ringtones installed.)
Doesn't seem likely to me.

Thanks,
Paul
July 20, 2004 12:28:22 AM

pb <pb_public@operamail.com> wrote:
> Steven J Sobol wrote:
>
>> "restricted" means the caller is blocking caller ID, which can be
>> done from any landline or cellular phone by dialing *67 before the number.
>
> Would the LG 6000 phone assign a different ringtone to a blocked
> Caller ID?? (I have only the standard ringtones installed.)
> Doesn't seem likely to me.

Some phones do; some phones can assign special ringtones only for specific
numbers in which case Caller ID must come through. My Samsung phone can
assign specific ringtones for specific numbers *plus* you can do a special
ringtone for no caller ID. However I have never owned an LG, so I don't know
what the 6000 can do.

July 20, 2004 1:38:41 AM

I'm getting the same "Restricted" mesage at times when my wife calls my cell
phone. She's using one of these calling cards to charge the call to. This
might happen 2 times out of 10.

"pb" <pb_public@operamail.com> wrote in message
> I just got a second strange phone call in as many weeks, this
> time from an entity named "Restricted". No phone number, just
> that name. It came with a strange ring tone from my phone. When I
> picked up there was no connection that I could hear. Trying to
> call back brought an "invalid number" error.
>
> Is this some occasional Verizon function?
>
> TIA

Anonymous
July 20, 2004 4:26:40 AM

an entity named "Restricted"

Are there any black helicopters in the area.

I like the entity nonsense.
July 20, 2004 5:06:16 AM

On 2004-07-20, pb <pb_public@operamail.com> wrote:
> Would the LG 6000 phone assign a different ringtone to a blocked
> Caller ID?? (I have only the standard ringtones installed.)
> Doesn't seem likely to me.

My LG 4400 came from the factory configured to use different ringtones
for "Caller ID", "No Caller ID" (ie, comes from a phone system that
doesn't support caller-id) and "Restricted" (blocked caller-id).

Check your "Sound" settings to find out for sure, but everything
suggests that the 6000 is similarly configured by default.
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 5:20:33 AM

"pb" <pb_public@operamail.com> wrote in message
> I just got a second strange phone call in as many weeks, this
> time from an entity named "Restricted". No phone number, just
> that name. It came with a strange ring tone from my phone. When I
> picked up there was no connection that I could hear. Trying to
> call back brought an "invalid number" error.
>
> Is this some occasional Verizon function?
>
> TIA

Next time that happens, look up. I bet you'll see a black helicopter...

Dan'l.
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 9:52:53 AM

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 15:06:26 -0400, "pb" <pb_public@operamail.com> chose to
add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and everything:

>I just got a second strange phone call in as many weeks, this
>time from an entity named "Restricted". No phone number, just
>that name. It came with a strange ring tone from my phone. When I
>picked up there was no connection that I could hear. Trying to
>call back brought an "invalid number" error.
>
>Is this some occasional Verizon function?

It's been happening to some people over the last few months.

Next time it happens, don't answer; if it really is someone who wants to
speak to you, they can leave a voice mail.

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"The choice of an MBA's reading material is a matter of time and taste. The
reason why some of us have not yet gotten around to reading 'Anna Karenina'
may simply be because we don't like Dickens."
- letter to the Editor, 'Toronto Globe and Mail'
July 20, 2004 11:12:07 AM

noman wrote:

> My LG 4400 came from the factory configured to use different ringtones
> for "Caller ID", "No Caller ID" (ie, comes from a phone system that
> doesn't support caller-id) and "Restricted" (blocked caller-id).

That indeed is the case, right out of the box. Mystery solved.
Thanks, guys.

pb
September 5, 2009 9:11:40 PM

I've received over 30 calls in 1 hour from a Restricted number. It sounded like a porno call with a child involved. I called Verizon and the Melbourne Police Dept. and both say there is nothing anyone can do. Can this be correct?
September 1, 2013 11:54:01 AM

I have alsobeen recieving these clls, but it is now 2013 and still no one has a firm answer
September 5, 2013 11:44:04 PM

nwmcride389 said:
I have alsobeen recieving these clls, but it is now 2013 and still no one has a firm answer

Happens to me as well. And your right, nobody at verizon has an answer. That fact alone may say a lot. In my opinion, it's one of two things: 1) verizons doing it in an attempt to sell their 'function control' package. Profit steers the boat right? but its a chump move and wouldnt be admitted to of course. 2) it's a triggerfish collecting your location. And in compliance with an investigation, verizon would have to play stupid. Their not required to cover for the police, rather just hand the data over and get out of the way. It missing in call logs works for either scenario. Collecting this kind of data doesn't require a warrant and as we are finding out could be happening on a scale much, much larger than we are willing to believe
September 26, 2013 6:29:47 AM

Sorry for the "me too" reply, but I got such a call last night and let it ring for a full hour! Why doesn't voice mail answer it? I've only gotten 4 or 5 of these in the past month, and can't believe noone else is complaining.
!