Solved

Looking to buy new rig, would like advice.

iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion ( [6-Port] NZXT Internal USB Expansion System + Bluetooth Module )
Case Lighting ( Cold Cathode Neon Light - Blue )
Processor ( [== Quad Core ==] AMD Phenom™ II X4 965 Black Edition Quad-Core CPU )
Processor Cooling ( [Free Upgrade] iBUYPOWER AMD Liquid CPU Cooling Fan System Kit )
Memory ( 8 GB [2 GB X4] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - A-DATA Gaming Series )
Video Card ( NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 – 1GB - SLI Mode (Dual Cards) )
Video Card Brand ( Major Brand Powered by ATI or NVIDIA )
Free Stuff ( 8GB USB FLASH DRIVE - Free with purchase of Dragon Platform System )
Motherboard ( [SLI] MSI NF980-G65 -- NVIDIA nForce 980a Chipset w/ 3-way SLI, 7.1 Sound, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, Triple PCI-E MB )
Power Supply ( 1000 Watt -- Extreme Power Supply - [Gaming Series] Quad SLI + Active PFC )
Primary Hard Drive ( 500 GB HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s - Dual 500GB Drives (1TB Capacity) - RAID 0 High Performance )
Data Hard Drive ( None )
Optical Drive ( 22X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Orange )
2nd Optical Drive ( 22X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Orange )
Flash Media Reader/Writer ( 12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer - Orange )
Meter Display ( NZXT Sentry LX Aluminum Fan Control, Clock, and Temperature LCD Display )
Floppy Drive ( Mitsumi 1.44 MB Internal Floppy Drive - Orange )
Sound Card ( 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard )
Network Card ( Intel Pro 10/100/1000 Network Card )
Operating System ( Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate + [Free 60-Day !!!] Microsoft Office 2007(Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access ....) - 64-Bit )
Additional Software ( Microsoft Office 2007 Home and Student Software )
Keyboard ( iBUYPOWER USB Keyboard - Black )
Keyboard ( Razer Lycosa Gaming Keyboard )
Mouse ( iBUYPOWER Internet Mouse - Black )
Monitor ( 22" ASUS Widescreen VH222H TFT LCD Monitor 16:9 Full HD 1080P /w Built in Speakers )
2nd Monitor ( 22" ASUS Widescreen VH222H TFT LCD Monitor 16:9 Full HD 1080P /w Built in Speakers )
Speaker System ( iBUYPOWER 2.1 Channel Stereo Super Bass Subwoofer Speaker System )
External Hard Drives [USB 2.0/eSATA] ( None )
USB Flash Drive ( None )
Media Center Remote Control & TV Tuner ( MS Media Center Remote Control and Receiver )
Media Center Remote Control & TV Tuner ( [USB 2.0] Asus External Digital TV-Tuner - High-Definition Digital TV Receiver, Watch and record Digital TV )
Power Protection ( Opti-UPS SS1200-AVR Mighty Voltage Regulator + Network 10/100/1000 LAN Surge Protector )
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about looking advice
  1. What specific advice are you looking for?
  2. What resolution do you plan to game at? What games are you going to be playing? Do you have a preference between AMD and Intel or Nvidia and ATI?

I see that you have 2 22" monitors, the video card you picked will have terrible low FPS at 3300x1050. You're really making a big mistake on your video card considering that you're dropping 2 grand on a comp. I'd recommend at least a 275GTX or a 5850.

8 gigs of ram is unnecessary for your set up as well, 4 should be fine.

A 1k PSU is also overkill for the set up you're running. 750 should be sufficient.

I'd save your self a hundred bucks or so and download open office instead of Microsoft office.

I would also shop Newegg or another online for the monitors you want, you can probably find them for a lower price and they have a far bigger selection.

Edit, are there any specific features in Windows Ult that you really need? Could save your self another hundred or so dollars by downgrading that as well.
  3. herniter said:
    What resolution do you plan to game at? What games are you going to be playing? Do you have a preference between AMD and Intel or Nvidia and ATI?

I see that you have 2 22" monitors, the video card you picked will have terrible low FPS at 3300x1050. You're really making a big mistake on your video card considering that you're dropping 2 grand on a comp. I'd recommend at least a 275GTX or a 5850.

8 gigs of ram is unnecessary for your set up as well, 4 should be fine.

A 1k PSU is also overkill for the set up you're running. 750 should be sufficient.

I'd save your self a hundred bucks or so and download open office instead of Microsoft office.

I would also shop Newegg or another online for the monitors you want, you can probably find them for a lower price and they have a far bigger selection.

Edit, are there any specific features in Windows Ult that you really need? Could save your self another hundred or so dollars by downgrading that as well.

I am planning on running my games at the nighest capasity it'll go. Our first big gaming target is Dragon Age, then Mass Effect, Borderlands, many others as well. I do prefer AMD and Nvidia.

I'm looking at the 275GTX and one of those would cost me as much as two of the GTS 250's, but it is a good trade off considerably speaking I may not be able to afford a second $251 video card. Would that be a good trade off to have one bigger video card?

We're planning on having this compy for a long while, that's why we're getting the 8 gig of ram ( and that memory was a problem with our last rig )

I'm feeling preety good about the monitors we've selected, and getting home and office. But the os does consern me slightly. We're planning on going heavy for gaming, and feel like going for the ultimate would be best, but as far as what exactly do we need it over home edition, I am not sure... Convince me?
  4. Best answer
    StatiicGrazer said:
    I am planning on running my games at the nighest capasity it'll go. Our first big gaming target is Dragon Age, then Mass Effect, Borderlands, many others as well. I do prefer AMD and Nvidia.

I'm looking at the 275GTX and one of those would cost me as much as two of the GTS 250's, but it is a good trade off considerably speaking I may not be able to afford a second $251 video card. Would that be a good trade off to have one bigger video card?

We're planning on having this compy for a long while, that's why we're getting the 8 gig of ram ( and that memory was a problem with our last rig )

I'm feeling preety good about the monitors we've selected, and getting home and office. But the os does consern me slightly. We're planning on going heavy for gaming, and feel like going for the ultimate would be best, but as far as what exactly do we need it over home edition, I am not sure... Convince me?

Two 250's will out perform a single 275 in the majority of benchmarks, but that leaves you little room to upgrade in the future without replacing both cards. With a 275 or 5850 you have room to upgrade later without having to sell the 250s. I'd personally get a 5850 as it beats dual 250s in most benches and has DX11 / Eye infinity encase you ever add a 3rd monitor.

For windows you can make the decision:

http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/windows-7/compare/default.aspx

The only feature of windows 7 pro or ult that I would use is the xp mode. I still play some old school games like Red Alert, and diablo 1 mods that use IPX/SPX. Neither W7 or Vista support IPX, not to sure if XP mode does, you might still run dual OS if you play older games.(Someone might help me on this).

Ram is probably not going to be the problem if you have 4gigs, your money is better spent on a higher end video card or processor for longevity.
  5. Best answer selected by StatiicGrazer.
  6. Thanks a bunch, got me thinking about the choices I made.
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Video Games Product