Linksys BEFW11S4 is dead after changing the WEP key

Hi,

I changed WEP key in my Linksys BEFW11S4 to the value created by its website
(http://192.168.1.1) generator. I remember that alphanumeric string I used
to generate WEP key was quite long. After this I saved this setting. It was
last time when I was in contact with router.

Now I can't access to website of router. Neither router nor Wi-Fi is working
L. Only switch is working correctly.

I tried to reset router using reset button - holding it even for 1 minute -
but it didn't help.

I suppose the router is in strange blocked state. I can't ping its default
IP address (192.168.1.1). But there is one interesting thing - I scanned its
IP using port scanner and only one port is opened: 110. This port is used by
POP3 protocol.

What should I do to restore proper state of router? Now it's just not
functioning.

Here is described similar problem:

http://groups.google.pl/groups?hl=pl&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=3DD1D349.7020701%40foobar.com&rnum=4&prev=/groups%3Fq%3DBEFW11S4%2520router%2520dead%26hl%3Dpl%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26sa%3DN%26tab%3Dwg

Thanks for any advice.

Mark

"Marek Wlizlo" <trampen@go2.pl> wrote in message
> Hi,
>

> I changed WEP key in my Linksys BEFW11S4 to the value created by its
> website (http://192.168.1.1) generator. I remember that alphanumeric
> string I used to generate WEP key was quite long. After this I saved this
> setting. It was last time when I was in contact with router.
>

> Now I can't access to website of router. Neither router nor Wi-Fi is
> working L. Only switch is working correctly.
>

> I tried to reset router using reset button - holding it even for 1
> minute - but it didn't help.
>
> I suppose the router is in strange blocked state. I can't ping its default
> IP address (192.168.1.1). But there is one interesting thing - I scanned
> its IP using port scanner and only one port is opened: 110. This port is
> used by POP3 protocol.
>

> What should I do to restore proper state of router? Now it's just not
> functioning.
>

> Here is described similar problem:
>
> http://groups.google.pl/groups?hl=pl&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=3DD1D349.7020701%40foobar.com&rnum=4&prev=/groups%3Fq%3DBEFW11S4%2520router%2520dead%26hl%3Dpl%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26sa%3DN%26tab%3Dwg
>

> Thanks for any advice.
>

> Mark

Did you try accessing the router via a wired/ethernet connection?

--
Bob Alston

bobalston9 AT aol DOT com

---

You mentioned creating a WEP key in the router. You didn't say that you set
the same key on your wireless card in the computer.
If, for some reason, you need to reset the router, there's usually a little
hole in which you insert a pin to reset all values to factory default. This
will also erase your logon settings and any other changes you made to the
router.

Can you connect to the router by CAT5 cable? Make any changes this way to
keep connectivity.

"Marek Wlizlo" <trampen@go2.pl> wrote in message
> Hi,
>

> I changed WEP key in my Linksys BEFW11S4 to the value created by its
> website (http://192.168.1.1) generator. I remember that alphanumeric
> string I used to generate WEP key was quite long. After this I saved this
> setting. It was last time when I was in contact with router.
>

> Now I can't access to website of router. Neither router nor Wi-Fi is
> working L. Only switch is working correctly.
>

> I tried to reset router using reset button - holding it even for 1
> minute - but it didn't help.
>
> I suppose the router is in strange blocked state. I can't ping its default
> IP address (192.168.1.1). But there is one interesting thing - I scanned
> its IP using port scanner and only one port is opened: 110. This port is
> used by POP3 protocol.
>

> What should I do to restore proper state of router? Now it's just not
> functioning.
>

> Here is described similar problem:
>
> http://groups.google.pl/groups?hl=pl&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=3DD1D349.7020701%40foobar.com&rnum=4&prev=/groups%3Fq%3DBEFW11S4%2520router%2520dead%26hl%3Dpl%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26sa%3DN%26tab%3Dwg
>

> Thanks for any advice.
>

> Mark

David

On 2004-09-24 12:32:13 -0400, "Marek Wlizlo" <trampen@go2.pl> said:

> Hi,
>

> I changed WEP key in my Linksys BEFW11S4 to the value created by its
> website (http://192.168.1.1) generator. I remember that alphanumeric
> string I used to generate WEP key was quite long. After this I saved
> this setting. It was last time when I was in contact with router.

Anytime I change WEP settings or MAC address filters I have to reboot
the BEFW11S4 to get the network up again. Don't reset it (that will
lose all your settings), just pull the power adapter plug out, count to
10 and plug it back in.

> Did you try accessing the router via a wired/ethernet connection?
>
> --
> Bob Alston

Yes, I accessed to the router via wired/Ethernet connection of course.

Mark

Did you update the WEP key in your wireless card's configuration menu?
If not, you need to use the exact same key in your wireless card in order
for it to communicate with the router.

U¿ytkownik "Doug Jamal" <bishiv6ERASEATYAHOODOTCOM@yahoo.com> napisa³ w
wiadomo¶ci news:Xns956E9CEFEA2D3ERASEbishiv6atyahood@65.32.5.172...
> Did you update the WEP key in your wireless card's configuration menu?
> If not, you need to use the exact same key in your wireless card in order
> for it to communicate with the router.

Actually I don't remember this key so I can't access via wireless.
Nevertheless it's obvious that it should be possible to do it via
wired/Ethernet - but it is not working :-(

Mark

You might be able to access the router's config. menu and see the
inserted encryption key. If so, simply copy it then paste it in the
wireless card's config. menu. If you're unable to do so, you can always
reset the router to its default settings (no encryption, etc.) and start
over.

wiadomo¶ci news:Xns956EA5944A795ERASEbishiv6atyahood@65.32.5.172...
> You might be able to access the router's config. menu and see the
> inserted encryption key. If so, simply copy it then paste it in the
> wireless card's config. menu. If you're unable to do so, you can always
> reset the router to its default settings (no encryption, etc.) and start
> over.

As I wrote before I tried to reset router but it didn't react.

It looks like BEFW11S4 is in the "not responding state" it means that even
reset button don't work.

Mark

Have you tried the old unplug it for an hour, repower it and hold down the
reset button, using a pen tip or paperclip end to securely depress it for
about 45 seconds?

--
Bob Alston

bobalston9 AT aol DOT com

> U¿ytkownik "Doug Jamal" <bishiv6ERASEATYAHOODOTCOM@yahoo.com> napisa³ w
> wiadomo¶ci news:Xns956EA5944A795ERASEbishiv6atyahood@65.32.5.172...
>> You might be able to access the router's config. menu and see the
>> inserted encryption key. If so, simply copy it then paste it in the
>> wireless card's config. menu. If you're unable to do so, you can always
>> reset the router to its default settings (no encryption, etc.) and start
>> over.
>>

> As I wrote before I tried to reset router but it didn't react.
>
> It looks like BEFW11S4 is in the "not responding state" it means that even
> reset button don't work.
>

> Mark

---

"Marek Wlizlo" <trampen@go2.pl> wrote:
>As I wrote before I tried to reset router but it didn't react.
>
>It looks like BEFW11S4 is in the "not responding state" it means that even
>reset button don't work.

Then I'd say it's dead. Gee, that's go perfectly with one I have that
got hit by lightning, and now only the WiFi works (blew out the switch
chip). 8*)

U¿ytkownik "Bob Alston" <bobalston9NOSPAM@aol.com> napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci
> Have you tried the old unplug it for an hour, repower it and hold down the
> reset button, using a pen tip or paperclip end to securely depress it for
> about 45 seconds?
>
> --
> Bob Alston

I have just tried it. Router is still not responding.

What can you say about port no 110 (on router IP) - it's opened. Is there
any possibility to use it for accessing to BEFW11S4?

Mark

Don't think so. Port 110 typically used for POP3 traffic. I doubt that the
router would be listening to that port for management activity.

--
Bob Alston

bobalston9 AT aol DOT com

> U¿ytkownik "Bob Alston" <bobalston9NOSPAM@aol.com> napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci
>> Have you tried the old unplug it for an hour, repower it and hold down
>> the reset button, using a pen tip or paperclip end to securely depress it
>> for about 45 seconds?
>>
>> --
>> Bob Alston
>
> I have just tried it. Router is still not responding.
>
> What can you say about port no 110 (on router IP) - it's opened. Is there
> any possibility to use it for accessing to BEFW11S4?
>
> Mark

---

The good news is you should be able to buy a WRT54G for about $60 - net of
rebates.

--
Bob Alston

bobalston9 AT aol DOT com
"Marek Wlizlo" <trampen@go2.pl> wrote in message

> U¿ytkownik "Bob Alston" <bobalston9NOSPAM@aol.com> napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci
>> Have you tried the old unplug it for an hour, repower it and hold down
>> the reset button, using a pen tip or paperclip end to securely depress it
>> for about 45 seconds?
>>
>> --
>> Bob Alston
>
> I have just tried it. Router is still not responding.
>
> What can you say about port no 110 (on router IP) - it's opened. Is there
> any possibility to use it for accessing to BEFW11S4?
>
> Mark

---

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 23:46:30 +0200, "Marek Wlizlo" <trampen@go2.pl>
wrote:

>What can you say about port no 110 (on router IP) - it's opened. Is there
>any possibility to use it for accessing to BEFW11S4?

I walked a customer through resetting their BEFW11S4 V4 router. I
think you have the V2 which is different. So far the 3 problems I've
seen with long WEP key locking up the system seem to be with V2. My
guess(tm) is that an ultra long WEP key overscribbles something in
NVRAM and hoses the firmware.

Anyway, I guessed that maybe you have to apply power AFTER holding
down the reset button. I had them pull the plug, stomp on the reset
button, apply power, and hold it like that for 60 seconds. That
seemed to work. However, the customer was not very good at following
instructions and had to do it something like 4 times before it finally
decided to reset.

If really desperate, you might wanna fire up a TFTP client program and
upload a new copy of the firmware. I usually don't like desperation
moves until you've tired all the various combinations of reset.

No clue on why port 110 should be open or what good it will do.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

> I walked a customer through resetting their BEFW11S4 V4 router. I
> think you have the V2 which is different. So far the 3 problems I've
> seen with long WEP key locking up the system seem to be with V2. My
> guess(tm) is that an ultra long WEP key overscribbles something in
> NVRAM and hoses the firmware.

I have BEFW11S4 ver.4 router too.

> Anyway, I guessed that maybe you have to apply power AFTER holding
> down the reset button. I had them pull the plug, stomp on the reset
> button, apply power, and hold it like that for 60 seconds. That
> seemed to work. However, the customer was not very good at following
> instructions and had to do it something like 4 times before it finally
> decided to reset.

I tried to do it but it's not working.

> If really desperate, you might wanna fire up a TFTP client program and
> upload a new copy of the firmware. I usually don't like desperation
> moves until you've tired all the various combinations of reset.

I tried to do it but it's not working.

> No clue on why port 110 should be open or what good it will do.

> Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

I'm really desperate.

Do you think low temperatures should cause restoring correct state of this
router? If yes, I could put it in the freezer (guarding it against water
first) - maybe it will erase memory (NVRAM). I hope it will not destroy
switch which is still functioning.

Any suggestion appreciated.

Mark

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 12:16:32 +0200, "Marek Wlizlo" <trampen@go2.pl>
wrote:

>I'm really desperate.
>
>Do you think low temperatures should cause restoring correct state of this
>router? If yes, I could put it in the freezer (guarding it against water
>first) - maybe it will erase memory (NVRAM). I hope it will not destroy
>switch which is still functioning.

I don't think that will work or help. Clearning the NVRAM will
probably also clear the firmware. My guess(tm) is that it might be
like some other Linksys products, where the tftp server firmware is
seperate from the operating bios firmware. There's almost nothing
useful on the FCCID web site:
https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/cf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=524657&fcc_id='PKW-BEFW11S4V4'
I was hoping for a block diagram, but couldn't find one. Looking
inside, there's no jumpers, battery, or obvious test points that can
be used to reset or clear the NVRAM.
https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/forms/blobs/retrieve.cgi?attachment_id=327437&native_or_pdf=pdf
No clue on the identity of the original manufacturer.

There is a 2x10pin header near the front panel that was probably used
for product testing and initial NV loading. On my unit, I think (not
sure) that the connector is missing. I suspect that it can be
re-flashed with this connector, but I have no inside information on
the connections, proceedure or required software.

It's interesting that the RF chip listed is a client chipset, and not
an access point chipset. Marvell Libertas 88W8000/88W8300.
http://www.marvell.com/products/wireless/libertas/88W8300.jsp
So, I guess they do their own MAC layer processing externally.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

"Marek Wlizlo" <trampen@go2.pl> wrote in message

> U¿ytkownik "Bob Alston" <bobalston9NOSPAM@aol.com> napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci
>> Have you tried the old unplug it for an hour, repower it and hold down
>> the reset button, using a pen tip or paperclip end to securely depress it
>> for about 45 seconds?
>>
>> --
>> Bob Alston
>
> I have just tried it. Router is still not responding.
>
> What can you say about port no 110 (on router IP) - it's opened. Is there
> any possibility to use it for accessing to BEFW11S4?
>
> Mark

I have some doubt that the router really has port 110 open. Try turning off
the router and trying your port scan again. Maybe some other device is
responding to the same IP address.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+

> I have some doubt that the router really has port 110 open. Try turning
> off the router and trying your port scan again. Maybe some other device
> is responding to the same IP address.
>
> Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+

You are right. I have just checked it.

So my router isn't responding at all :-(

Mark

Hey guys if u are having this problem,
go to your comand prompt i.e ms-dos
type ipconfig while your router is connected via ethernet cable.
you'll definetely see the IP address for your router.