ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Hmm.. at work we had some dealings with a company that we got to build us some PCs using older hardware (Anyone remember my thread about ISA slots?).. And they cocked up and sent us some PCs with stuff that's a little too new. They sent us some replacement mobos and we swapped them out ourselves, but the company has since gone bust while still owing us 2 monitors & 2 copies of Win98, so we'll just hang on to these mobos & the 2x 256Mb Twinmos RAM that came with them... works out about even.

So anyway, I have this thing installed in a PC with a few other bits of hardware I had lying around, and it's not <i>that</i> stable. It seems ok running Sandra burn-in, but if I try 3dmark it gets most of the way through then just dumps back to the desktop. No error messages that I can see, just back to desktop... Have had a couple of other lockups elsewhere.

I would normally check voltages, temperatures, etc, but the BIOS on this thing doesn't seem to have them listed anywhere, and both Sandra and MBM5 just give me complete junk (the same junk - the two agree). e.g:
No CPU temp.
Board temp 9* (ambient is ~19* in the office perhaps)
CPU core voltage 2.83V (but as that would blow it up I find it hard to believe)
'Auxiliary Voltage' 1.47V < I suspect this is the actual core voltage
+3.3 = 2.26V
+5 = 1.96V
+12 = 7.84V

So as you can see, these can't possibly be right, or there's no way it'd be sat here running windows. :eek:

I assume a new BIOS might help.. but I don't know who makes this thing. There's no Manu name anywhere I can find.. Any ideas people? Here's what I know for sure:

KT266 (non-A)
3 DDR Slots.
5 PCI slots.
Has a blue ACR slot between AGP and PCI slots.
Has onboard sound, 3 audio jacks + Gameport on the back
Also on the back, 2 PS2, 2x USB, 2xSerial, 1xParallel (the usual suspects)

Currently has a 32Mb Geforce DDR in the AGP slot, 3Com LAN card and a SB Audigy in 2 PCI slots. and a 1.4Ghz 133Mhz FSB Duron.

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:

allanon1965

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2003
there are fcc numbers on there and should have other numbers as well, look on the sides of the slots closest to the bottom and also the model numbers might be in between the slots...post what you find and i can tell you what it is...

Fat, Drunk, and Stupid is no way to go through life Son.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
There's nothing I can see printed on the mobo that looks like a serial number. Just all the little component labels (i.e. R142, C27, etc)

There is a little sticker on the second last PCI slot that says <b>AC97(LM4881)</b> I've tried searching for 'LM4881' and couldn't find anything :frown: .

There's also a sticker on the AGP slot which says:
<b> A46
18EQH</b>

And one covering 3/4 of the ACR slot which says "This slot supports all ACR Card except ACR Lan"..

Any suggestions where FCC or any other numbers might be hidden?

incidentally, I've left the PC running Sandra burn-in (CPU, CPU Multimedia, & memory benchmarks) and it's got to run 57 so far with no apparent problems, but still won't do a complete 3dMark run. an AGP problem perhaps? I've tried both 4x and 2x AGP with the same result.(it's a 4x card)

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
actually, there's also a sticker w/ a barcode on top of the parallel port. Just above the bar code it says
"JAK PM-991BA-DAS"
and underneath it says
"9K991007494"

---

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Figured out that 3dMark always crashes on the 'advanced pixel shader' test. If I turn off the pixel shader tests it runs through ok. (it would skip them anyway as it's DX7 class hardware)

Is this a known bug with particular Nvidia drivers on VIA chipsets or something?

It still seems to crash under extreme load though (Sandra burn-in + 3dMark + WinAmp running simultaneously).. So It's either overheating or insufficient PSU I reckon... But I can't easily tell... :frown:

---

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I'll give it a go tomorrow - it's at work and I'm at home now.

I've never heard of that - pressing pause while booting.

I'm pretty sure its a very cheap board. awful BIOS, only 3 jumpers. One's a CMOS reset, one changes the FSB from 100 to 133, and I have no idea what the other one does. I'm guessing it disables the onboard audio.

Stupid thing crashed twice in about half an hour while I was simply playing virtual pool hall and listening to MP3s. I was thinking about trying different 4-in-1 driver versions. I tried underclocking it to 1050Mhz (100FSB) and it was exactly the same, so I'm guessing at a driver issue (rather than heat or power).

---

allanon1965

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2003
here is a link for it, its also in another language..but it is a via based board....http://www.eqscomputers.com/catalogue/PM-991BA-DAS.pdf

Fat, Drunk, and Stupid is no way to go through life Son.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You already have another link, but these types of boards are often sold by more than one vender, you could try looking at the BIOS string (at bootup) and making your determination at www.wimsbios.com

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Thanks Crash, but that site doesn't list the manufacturer part of the code (which is <b>6A6LVPR9C-00</b>) - there's no entry for 'PR' :frown: . It does say it's <font color=red>VIA VT8366/VT8233 chipset with Award BIOS v6.00</font color=red> so it seems to be on the right track.

And I checked the EQS Website, they don't have a BIOS for this (PM-991BA) mobo, but they <i>do</i> have one for a PM-991<b>X</b>A mobo, which seems to be identical except it uses the KT266A chipset, not the KT266. I'm assuming I won't be able to use this BIOS with it?

I definitely want to flash it.. Having pressed pause while it's booting I can see it says 'Press DEL to Enter Setu' at the bottom :eek: .. Surely not a good sign.

I'm gonna go do some googling now I think...

---

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Just thought I'd post an update.
I did have the 4.48 4-in-1 drivers installed, tried the 4.51 drivers with no success (possibly worse actually), and now I've backtracked to 4.45 and it seems reasonably stable. Left it running Sandra Burn-in and 3dMark(looping) for a couple of hours with no crashes... Although it did just crash while I was typing this post... :lol: .. $hit happens I guess. Still seems better than it was though.

I would still like to sort out the BIOS, to (hopefully) get some useful info regarding Temps, Volts, etc, but it's not that huge a priority.... I'm fairly sure a VIA board that's <i>this</i> cheap is never going to give me uptime that's measured in anything other than hours anyway.

---

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
the kt266 and 266a used the same packaging...meaning a kt266a could be put in the same exact mobo as a 266 by a manufacturer...i don't know if this helps at all.

I guess i am saying if you are daring you could try to flash the bios of your mobo with the bios of the one you found at that website...

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a procesor
110% BX fanboy

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I was wondering that... They had the same features IIRC. What was different about the A?

According to via's website, it's just a bit faster.

---