Router info

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
September 24, 2004 9:46:17 PM

I'm a tad confused about the stuff I need to connnect a ADSL connection to a
router. Do I need a ADSL modem or can I just plug a cable from the phone
socket (via filter) into the WAN port on the router?

If you need (as I think you do) a ADSL modem can anyone recommend a goot
router with one built in?

Thanks

Craig

More about : router info

Anonymous
September 24, 2004 9:46:18 PM

When you sign up for ADSL, they will generally supply you with a modem.
With some ADSL providers, you need to buy your own. But you DO need a
modem. I recommend an Ethernet modem and not a USB modem. It makes it
easier to create a LAN.
You do NOT put a filter between the jack and the ADSL modem. On the other
hand, you do need filters on all the phone sets in the house.

"Craig" <None@Fake.com> wrote in message
> I'm a tad confused about the stuff I need to connnect a ADSL connection to
> a router. Do I need a ADSL modem or can I just plug a cable from the phone
> socket (via filter) into the WAN port on the router?
>
> If you need (as I think you do) a ADSL modem can anyone recommend a goot
> router with one built in?
>
> Thanks
>
> Craig

September 24, 2004 9:46:18 PM

Craig wrote:
> I'm a tad confused about the stuff I need to connnect a ADSL
> connection to a router. Do I need a ADSL modem or can I just plug a
> cable from the phone socket (via filter) into the WAN port on the
> router? If you need (as I think you do) a ADSL modem can anyone recommend
> goot router with one built in?

You need a modem. Although the plugs on a phone cable may look similar to
those on an ethernet cable, they are slightly different size and not
interchangeable. It is generally not recommended that you supply your own
modem, since, if you have a problem, the phone company would not be
responsible for your equipment.
Related resources
September 24, 2004 9:46:18 PM

If you can not use the USB modem and want one with an ethernet port,
check out eBay for them. You do need to know the type of DSL ( cap, dmi
or g-lite around here ) then find a modem and visit the manufactures
site. Some of the Westell ones can also be a router, but after you get
into the thing, you can turn it off and make it a bridge. Some are
already bridges and you don't have to configure anything. For instance,
the Westell 2000 is a g-lite bridge device while the 2200 is also a router.

have fun!

Craig wrote:
> I'm a tad confused about the stuff I need to connnect a ADSL connection to a
> router. Do I need a ADSL modem or can I just plug a cable from the phone
> socket (via filter) into the WAN port on the router?
>
> If you need (as I think you do) a ADSL modem can anyone recommend a goot
> router with one built in?
>
> Thanks
>
> Craig

September 25, 2004 3:04:03 AM

Yep, I'm with you there. My provider has given me a USB modem hence my
queries. So from what you say I need a router with a built in modem. Do you
know of any?

TIA

"Alan White" <alanwhite@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> When you sign up for ADSL, they will generally supply you with a modem.
> With some ADSL providers, you need to buy your own. But you DO need a
> modem. I recommend an Ethernet modem and not a USB modem. It makes it
> easier to create a LAN.
> You do NOT put a filter between the jack and the ADSL modem. On the other
> hand, you do need filters on all the phone sets in the house.
>
> "Craig" <None@Fake.com> wrote in message
>> I'm a tad confused about the stuff I need to connnect a ADSL connection
>> to a router. Do I need a ADSL modem or can I just plug a cable from the
>> phone socket (via filter) into the WAN port on the router?
>>
>> If you need (as I think you do) a ADSL modem can anyone recommend a goot
>> router with one built in?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Craig

Anonymous
September 25, 2004 3:04:04 AM

If you only plan on having one PC, a modem (Ethernet NOT USB) would be
essential.
If you add a 2nd computer later on (PC, Mac or Linux) you could insert a
router between the modem and the computers. The router could be
wired/wireless. Wireless routers are very little more than the plain
vanilla type and will prepare you for the next step.
Do some homework on the modem - check with your ISP (the one I use supplies
excellent modems and in fact update them if asked at no extra charge).
You don't need/want a combo router/modem. Get a modem now and if you need
to set up a LAN, then buy a router.

Good luck.

> Yep, I'm with you there. My provider has given me a USB modem hence my
> queries. So from what you say I need a router with a built in modem. Do
> you know of any?
>
> TIA
>
> "Alan White" <alanwhite@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> When you sign up for ADSL, they will generally supply you with a modem.
>> With some ADSL providers, you need to buy your own. But you DO need a
>> modem. I recommend an Ethernet modem and not a USB modem. It makes it
>> easier to create a LAN.
>> You do NOT put a filter between the jack and the ADSL modem. On the
>> other hand, you do need filters on all the phone sets in the house.
>>
>> "Craig" <None@Fake.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm a tad confused about the stuff I need to connnect a ADSL connection
>>> to a router. Do I need a ADSL modem or can I just plug a cable from the
>>> phone socket (via filter) into the WAN port on the router?
>>>
>>> If you need (as I think you do) a ADSL modem can anyone recommend a
>>> goot router with one built in?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Craig

Anonymous
September 25, 2004 3:34:43 AM

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 14:12:02 -0400, in alt.internet.wireless , "Gordo"
<gordo20878@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Craig wrote:
>> I'm a tad confused about the stuff I need to connnect a ADSL
>> connection to a router. Do I need a ADSL modem or can I just plug a
>> cable from the phone socket (via filter) into the WAN port on the
>> router? If you need (as I think you do) a ADSL modem can anyone recommend
>> goot router with one built in?
>
>You need a modem. Although the plugs on a phone cable may look similar to
>those on an ethernet cable, they are slightly different size and not
>interchangeable.

Not to mention the totally different protocols going on inside the cable,
and a difference of about 100 volts, and more wires.....

Sorry, but your comment read a little like someone saying "yes, a walking
stick may look similar to a samurai sword, but they're a slightly different
size", as if that were the only important difference.

> It is generally not recommended that you supply your own
>modem,

This however is just plain wrong. Most phone companies supply a cheap junky
modem, and care not at all if you swap it for a decent one. In fact I
expect many many people do.

>since, if you have a problem, the phone company would not be
>responsible for your equipment.

Well this is true in general.

There used to be a show on the BBC called Not the Nine o'Clock News where
someone phoned the utility company to complain about a variety of things,
from his dog dying to his car being stolen. Most amusin

--
Mark McIntyre
CLC FAQ <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html&gt;

September 25, 2004 8:47:14 PM

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 17:46:17 +0100, "Craig" <None@Fake.com> wrote:

>I'm a tad confused about the stuff I need to connnect a ADSL connection to a
>router. Do I need a ADSL modem or can I just plug a cable from the phone
>socket (via filter) into the WAN port on the router?
>
>If you need (as I think you do) a ADSL modem can anyone recommend a goot
>router with one built in?

Nice mess. You need 3 different boxes.
1. ADSL modem. Phone line input, ethernet output.
2. Ethernet router. Ethernet input (WAN port). Usually 4ea ethernet
outputs (LAN ports).
3. Wireless access point. Ethernet input. Wireless output.

You can buy boxes that conglomerate two of these functions, or all
three. You can also buy a wireless router, and use it as an access
point. Lots of options. I suggest you stay with three different
boxes. The ADSL modem can be bought on eBay for about $40. Ethernet
routers are about $30-$60. Wireless access points are $30 to as much
as you want to spend.

One reason to keep things seperate is that routers tend to be located
under desks and in closets where all the cables come together. If you
locate a wireless access point in these locations, the range will be
horrible. Wireless devices want to be installed high, where the
coverage area is larger. Another reason is that you might want to
just turn off the wireless when it's not in use. You can't do that
and still stay online if the wireless is conglomerated with a router
or ADSL modem.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
!