Sign in with
Your question

Please recommend a mobo supports 3.3V AGP card

Last response: in Motherboards
December 3, 2003 6:18:29 AM

Hello,

Recently I've bought my new computer with ASUS P4P800 mobo and Asus V9280 Geforce 4 TI 4200-8X. I then experienced serious tearings and black-outs during 3D games. Recently I found out that it problem is caused by my mobo that only supports 1.5V AGP card while my TI 4200 is an 3.3V AGP card.

Can somebody recommend me a cheap mobo that supports 3.3V AGP card, preferably 120$?

Thanks,
Timmy
a b V Motherboard
December 3, 2003 8:02:18 AM

Nope, you're wrong. Your motherboard supports 1.5v and 0.8v signals. Your video card supports 3.3v, 1.5v, and 0.8v motherboard slots. Notice something in common?

Your video card is 100% compatable with your motherboard. It could be defective, but that would be just that 1 card.

There are no current motherboards that are AGP2x. 3.3v signals are for AGP2x only.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
December 3, 2003 8:30:16 AM

Thanks for the reply.

But in the P4P800 User Guide, under the AGP Slot section, it says "Install only 1.5V AGP cards on this motherboard! 3.3V AGP cards are not supported in this motherboard."

And in my Asus V9280 Geforce 4 TI 4200-8X User's Manual, under the Hardware Setup section, it says "Make sure that the power supply of your motherboard can probide enough electrical current on the 3.3V lead to maintain normal operation."

Now it's clear that the TI 4200 requires 3.3V but P4P800 supports only 1.5V. Asus SmartDoctor and Asus Probe also says that the power supply is insufficient, which is only 2.7/2.8V only while 3.3V is required.

Thanks,
Timmy
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
December 3, 2003 8:46:33 AM

Quote:
But in the P4P800 User Guide, under the AGP Slot section, it says "Install only 1.5V AGP cards on this motherboard! 3.3V AGP cards are not supported in this motherboard."

OMG! I told you, your card supports ALL 3 standards. It will NEVER be on the 3.3v standard using your motherboard, YOUR CARD will default to 1.5v.

Quote:
And in my Asus V9280 Geforce 4 TI 4200-8X User's Manual, under the Hardware Setup section, it says "Make sure that the power supply of your motherboard can probide enough electrical current on the 3.3V lead to maintain normal operation."

That's because 1.5v is normally takend off the 3.3v rail of the POWER SUPPLY! If your 3.3v rail is 10% low, your 1.5v AGP signal will likely be 10% low. See the problem?

Quote:
Now it's clear that the TI 4200 requires 3.3V but P4P800 supports only 1.5V. Asus SmartDoctor and Asus Probe also says that the power supply is insufficient, which is only 2.7/2.8V only while 3.3V is required.

No, it's clear you're an idiot. You made it clear when you refused to listed the first 3 times (including your other post). As you said, Asus Probe says the POWER SUPPLY is insufficient. The power supply is that metal box, usually located about your motherboard, with all those wires sticking out of it. It's the thing with the power cord socket that connects to your wall. It has this fan in it too. It's not part of the motherboard. Asus doesn't make power supplies, and if they did, they wouldn't name a power supply by a motherboard name.

Replace your power supply and quit arguing. If you need another explaination someone will help, but you'll find people are a lot friendlier and more helpfull if you don't argue with them.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
December 3, 2003 11:45:01 AM

Yep, I got your point and thanks for the reply. As I said, I will ask for a replacement for my PSU as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Timmy
!