Which one? Teletronics 2.4ghz 1 Watt / Sputnik AP 200 / Ra..

Last response: in Wireless Networking
September 24, 2004 6:31:37 PM

Someone handed me a Linksys WRT54G and have few computers at home,
I wanted to load a Teletronics 2.4ghz SmartAmp 1 Watt can be found
here:
http://www.teletronics.com/amplifiers24ghz1wattIn.html

I am not sure of the range and stability but I can grab one off ebay
for a lot less than froogle.

I am trying to setup a hot-spot with noCAT running on *nix and
capping bandwidth for free-neighborhood Internet.

I also don't want to have an over-kill antenna and not so good wifi-router.
I know the router has a limitation of about 30 or so on the "B"s but this is
a G, not sure though on the limitations. I will check and see if I can flash
the ROM and load a different o/s on the router and support more people.

I also checked out a Grid Wifi Antennas "The RadioLabs 2.4 Grid Antenna"
http://www.radiolabs.com/products/antennas/2.4gig/2.4gr... i think 100mw
is an over-kill but I need something in the 2-3 mile range maximum.

There are lots of houses in my area so 1 mile strong is good and I am
willing to put a huge antenna in the back or even on top of the house.

I also checked out the Sputnik AP 200™ high-powered 200 milliwatt transmitter
which I happen to like including their software(s). The more I read about it
the more it makes sense and seems to be the right one for me. It also supports
up to 250 concurrent users.

" Wireless repeater functionality The Sputnik AP 200 supports standard
" Wireless Distribution System (WDS), enabling it to act as a repeater.
" With a WDS range of over 3 miles (5000 meters), this enables you to
" build long-range wireless networks. An AP 200 can establish up to six
" WDS links.

" Wi-Fi®-compliant 802.11b access point The Sputnik AP 200 works with all
" Wi-Fi-compliant 802.11b access cards. It requires no special client, and
" works seamlessly with laptops, desktop computers and PDAs running Windows®,
" Macintosh®, Linux, Unix, Palm® and other operating systems. The Sputnik AP
" 200 can support up to 250 concurrent users, and operates at up to 11 Mbps.

As of today price they have it listed for $259.00
http://www.sputnik.com/products/aps/ap200.html
I am not even sure why I am thinking of doing this, what did my neighbor(s)
do to deserve free internet but I sure like the idea.

Any feedback or suggestion of alternative would be appreciated...
Anonymous
September 24, 2004 8:39:12 PM

I would worry about having enough bandwidth on the internet DSL or cable
side of things.

2-3 mile range is going to be tough.

Also penetrating walls into houses can be tough if more than one wall.

Why not start small and learn by doing?

--
Bob Alston

bobalston9 AT aol DOT com
"Keith VanDerGriffith" <vandergriffith@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Someone handed me a Linksys WRT54G and have few computers at home,
> I wanted to load a Teletronics 2.4ghz SmartAmp 1 Watt can be found
> here:
> http://www.teletronics.com/amplifiers24ghz1wattIn.html
>
> I am not sure of the range and stability but I can grab one off ebay
> for a lot less than froogle.
>
> I am trying to setup a hot-spot with noCAT running on *nix and
> capping bandwidth for free-neighborhood Internet.
>
> I also don't want to have an over-kill antenna and not so good
> wifi-router.
> I know the router has a limitation of about 30 or so on the "B"s but this
> is
> a G, not sure though on the limitations. I will check and see if I can
> flash
> the ROM and load a different o/s on the router and support more people.
>
> I also checked out a Grid Wifi Antennas "The RadioLabs 2.4 Grid Antenna"
> http://www.radiolabs.com/products/antennas/2.4gig/2.4gr... i think
> 100mw
> is an over-kill but I need something in the 2-3 mile range maximum.
>
> There are lots of houses in my area so 1 mile strong is good and I am
> willing to put a huge antenna in the back or even on top of the house.
>
> I also checked out the Sputnik AP 200T high-powered 200 milliwatt
> transmitter
> which I happen to like including their software(s). The more I read about
> it
> the more it makes sense and seems to be the right one for me. It also
> supports
> up to 250 concurrent users.
>
> " Wireless repeater functionality The Sputnik AP 200 supports standard
> " Wireless Distribution System (WDS), enabling it to act as a repeater.
> " With a WDS range of over 3 miles (5000 meters), this enables you to
> " build long-range wireless networks. An AP 200 can establish up to six
> " WDS links.
>
> " Wi-Fi®-compliant 802.11b access point The Sputnik AP 200 works with all
> " Wi-Fi-compliant 802.11b access cards. It requires no special client, and
> " works seamlessly with laptops, desktop computers and PDAs running
> Windows®,
> " Macintosh®, Linux, Unix, Palm® and other operating systems. The Sputnik
> AP
> " 200 can support up to 250 concurrent users, and operates at up to 11
> Mbps.
>
> As of today price they have it listed for $259.00
> http://www.sputnik.com/products/aps/ap200.html
> I am not even sure why I am thinking of doing this, what did my
> neighbor(s)
> do to deserve free internet but I sure like the idea.
>
> Any feedback or suggestion of alternative would be appreciated...

---
September 25, 2004 4:47:07 AM

"Bob Alston" <bobalston9NOSPAM@aol.com> wrote in message news:<3u05d.290858$Lj.258653@fed1read03>...
> I would worry about having enough bandwidth on the internet DSL or cable
> side of things.
>
> 2-3 mile range is going to be tough.
>
> Also penetrating walls into houses can be tough if more than one wall.
>
> Why not start small and learn by doing?
>
> --
> Bob Alston

I get 2 - 3.1Mbits/sec download and about 407 kbps upload so I can manage
the demand if I load a bandwidth cap program to only allow 28k/modem like
speed.. and see how that goes..

With what I would have if I am to build a cantenna or just buy it and see
if I can get anything going with that I will remain with it...

I'll start with the Oreilly's Pringle's design...
http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/448

Hope everything works out fine and RadioShack has all the
parts.

I wonder if I can have 2 cans, one pointing in various directions.
1 one way and the other the other way to get more "wide/round" coverage.
Anonymous
September 25, 2004 2:46:12 PM

Cantennas are pretty directional. You can also try making one like I made
using a USB "dongel"

http://members.cox.net/tulsaalstons/Documents/Compact%2...