Mobile Technology - Intel Centrino
System Type - Notebook
Built-in Devices - Stereo speakers, wireless LAN antenna
Processor - Intel Pentium M 735 1.7 GHz
Cache Memory - 2 MB - L2 cache
RAM - 256 MB (installed) / 2 GB (max) - DDR SDRAM - PC2700 - 333 MHz
Hard Drive - 40 GB - 5400 rpm
Optical Storage - CD-RW / DVD-ROM combo - plug-in module
Display - 14.1" TFT active matrix SXGA+ (1400 x 1050) - 24-bit (16.7 million colors)
Graphics Controller - ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9600 - 64 MB
Audio Output - Sound card
Telecom - Fax / modem - CDC - 56 Kbps
Networking - Network adapter - Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g
Wireless NIC - Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG
Input Device - Keyboard, touchpad, TrackPoint, UltraNav
Power - AC 110/230 V ( 50/60 Hz )
Battery - Lithium ion
Average Run Time - 4 hour(s)
Operating System - Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Manufacturer Warranty - 1 year warranty

I checked the price and it was around $1,600.
I think very good price for the this features.
What do you guys think?
and what type of memory do i need to add...(also name brand)
If you give me a any thought about this that'll be really appreciate

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by headache on 01/27/05 06:51 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : opinion

January 27, 2005 10:37:33 PM

It is indeed a nice, solid notebook for a decent price - you could get a similar one for less from a different manufacturer, but it wouldn't have that IBM quality...
The only major hole that I would pick in it is the hard drive - in a notebook you need the fastest HDD you can get - even the fastest 2.5" HDDs today don't compete with the slowest 3.5" ones.

As far as memory goes, you'll need more if you intend to run WinXP at any decent speed - but all you'll need is a PC2700 or higher DDR SO-DIMM which you can get anywhere. The more reputable the brand, the better (kingston are quite good with notebooks in terms of compatability) - but almost all brands should work (expecially being IBM). It would be cheaper to buy the memory aftermarket.

IBM notebooks (in my opinion) are as ugly as... -well, something ugly - but as sturdy as rock. They're slower than all the competitors (they've always been) but they are more reliable because of this.

Regards,
RaPTuRe

Who's General Failure and why's he reading my disk?
January 28, 2005 1:00:09 AM

RaPTuRe, thank you so much for your advice.

Headache.
January 28, 2005 10:02:56 PM

Damn I wish that was out when I was goin for my thinkpad. Mine has about the same specs (1.8ghz, 15" screen, 1gb aftermarket ram) and it was over $3000 direct from ibm :( 
Of course I got it right when the T42s came out so I guess I can expect that prices have gone down a lot.
I can run all the latest games on my thinkpad (hl2, doom3, etc) but I wouldn't use it as my main gaming machine. Just for short moments of boredom in my econ class or something, lol.

Buy that thing!

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>
!