Sign in with
Your question

New cheap gaming build

Last response: in Video Games
January 22, 2010 5:43:13 AM

Case: Coolermaster Elite 334 Mid Tower
Power Supply: OCZ Fatal1ty 550w Modular PSU
CPU: Intel Core i5 750 2.66Ghz 8Mb Cache Quad Core 4 Cores/4 Threads (Stock Intel Cooler)
Motherboard: Gigabyte P55A-UD3 Motherboard
RAM: 4Gb (2x2Gb) 1333Mhz DDR3 (OCZ/Corsair)
Video Card: ATI HD5770 1Gb DX11
Hard Drive 1: Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500Gb 16Mb Cache Caviar Blue
Optical Drive 1: Pioneer 218 Dual Layer 20x DVD+-RW Black SATA
Sound Card: Onboard Sound
Network Card: Onboard Network
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Warranty: Standard 3 Year Warranty

Price: $1400

I am not building and am on a budget. this will cost me $1400 AUD which i think is pretty good. i understand that if i want to upgrade my cpu or gfx card that i need to upgrade my mobo. is that true?
Questions:

1.Will this machine play most if not all games on med-high settings? i own a ps3 and xbox so its not logical to buy a monster gaming pc.

2.Is this a good rig? will it last me a good 3 years?

there is no monitor or keyboard etc so i will have to buy those later.

So post whatever you think of it and if you can, please answer my queries.

Cheers.

More about : cheap gaming build

January 22, 2010 12:31:50 PM

Looks like a good well balanced PC. Don't know about price though, in the UK! sorry!
m
l
January 22, 2010 1:02:47 PM

Looks fairly good, but a few things that I should point out:

1. Your PSU (and your mobo) will not allow you to XFire, and the 5770 isn't very strong when enabling DX11 (as seen in Dirt 2). If you could swing it I'd highly suggest a 5850 now. If you can't then you'll probably have to upgrade in the next few years. You could also go crossfire but you'd need to change you PSU (700W+) and your mobo (I suggest ASUS P7P55D-E Pro). Note, this changes WILL increase the price of your rig.

2. If you plan on overclocking the stock cooler won't be enough. I suggest the Cooler Master Hyper 212 (which is only about $30US) but it is not necessary if you're not OCing.

3. Caviar Blue drives are WD's "mainstream" drives, which means they don't operate as fast as some other "high end" drives. Samsung F3 Spinpoint, Seagate 7200.12, and WD Caviar Black 2TB are all "high end" drives which have 500GB platter designs to give them a higher throughput. If you can find one I suggest the F3 Spinpoint as it generally seems to be cheaper on this side of the waters.

As for your questions, this rig looks great for right now. The only thing that would hold it back is the GPU, which can be fixed in the options above. Don't get me wrong, the 5770 is a good card, but probably a year from now you'll be wanting more power, at which point you can easily do a GPU upgrade.

Finally, I know you mentioned you didn't want to build it, but if you have the time, I suggest you build it yourself. It's really quite easy and there are guides all over the internet that can help you. The two big benefits from building it yourself are that first and foremost, you save money. You don't have to pay some hardware schmuck to do the work for you. Also, you become more intimate with your rig because you want to place every piece with care. It's something that is completely yours.

Anyways, hope this helps, and whatever you choose goodluck and have fun.
m
l
Related resources
January 23, 2010 12:05:38 AM

thanks for the helpful responses guys. after posting this mavanhel i did decide to get the 5850, i can spare the few extra bucks. not interesting in OCing, but the rig will last me a good 3 years with the 5850?
m
l
January 23, 2010 11:18:55 AM

Oh yes, for what you need to do it will do you quite well for your needs.
m
l
!