AboutToHaveStrok

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2003
Well, First .. I love this site. Not to start my whine., I finally got the guts to build my own box after 10 years of rebuilding my "not 1 piece left is DELL Dell" My new box is a MSI 865 pe neo 2-LS with a 2.6 pentium with HT 800fsb I am now on my third video card (thought that was the problem) it is a gforce FX 5700 ultra My speakers wouldnt work with the onboard sound so I kept my creative Gamer card . I have 2 maxtor drives 80+30gb and I am running W2kPRO with ALL of the updates.. Also I have ALL of the latest drivers for EVERYTHING to include the board Bios. 512mb of MATCHED RAM DDR400 running in dual channel mode. well with everything running in default ..not pushed not tweaked just VANILLA..well This machine is FASSTTT but crashes if I open more than 2 programs or run ANY Game for more than 60 seconds oh I also have a 350 watt PWR supply and 2 cd/dvd drives. I almost forgot to mention after a wek the onboard LAN just freakin Dissappeared from the hardware device menue like it never existed..the only reason I am on now is that I put in my old lan card. Any Ideas????????????????

svend

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2003
you could be over heating the CPU and causing the crash. If the HSF is not seated correctly and securly this could be one problem. Your powersupply is only 350W is this a new powersupply or one you had. 350w is about as low a PS one should go these days, you might want to rethink to a 450W PS. considering everything you have attached to the power supply right now. I would also look in my bios and make sure one of the crashes didn't reset some of the options ie LAN. If all else fails reformat and install the OS and see what happens.

when all is said and done, what you've done for your neighbor is most important

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
but crashes if I open more than 2 programs or run ANY Game for more than 60 seconds
Can you describe the crash? Is it a notification of a program that will be closed, a complete freeze or a spontaneous reboot?

Is 2^33634943-1 prime? (more than 10Mil digits @58.33%) I will know in 2 weeks when <A HREF="http://www.mersenne.org" target="_new">Prime95</A> finishes checking!

AboutToHaveStrok

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2003
It is a complete shutdown at times..also the game may just crash to desktop. It used to freeze and make me force it to reboot but that was the sound card...turned sound quality to medium and that didnt happen anymore

AboutToHaveStrok

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2003
As to the CPU..It was an factory fan and heatsink...all four clips are set and levers down..what I did think was strange was the fact that in the past you had to put heat grease or somthing like that on the cpu before the heat sink but this just had a black square patch on the back of it and the sink rests against it..also the 350 pwr came in the case I bought...this monster has room for tons of stuff so I thought that I would be ok...but Hell even my new vid card has to be plugged in.

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
What brand of PSU do you have? What brand RAM do you have and what are the timings set at? Also, disable HT in the BIOS Win2K doesn't support it. Or just get WinXP to take full advantage of your processor. One last thing, check the temps in your BIOS. If they're running too high I would remove the processor, scrape that black crap off the heat spreader and heatsink, wipe clean with brake cleaner or acetone and apply a decent silver-based thermal compound.

Okay, brain. You don't like me, and I don't like you, but let's get through this thing and then I can continue killing you with beer. -- Homer Simpson.