Yearly Upgrade Question?

Empathy

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
It is that time of year again, time to do the yearly upgrade. The system I am upgrading from is a Asus p4b533e with 1 gig of geil pc2700 ultra ram and p4b2.8. The system I am wanting to go to is in debate. I am caught between getting a Asus p4c800-E Deluxe and a Soyo dragon 2 board. I am also in debate over ram for the motherboard. I either want to go with 1gig of Geil pc3500 ultra/plat or Corsair XMSpro pc3500 with a p4c2.8. The last thing on my list is video card Should I keep my 9700pro 128 or upgrade to a Asus 9700xt pro. Is it even worth upgrading rite now?

The reason I am asking this is that this site has always been useful when it comes time for doing my upgrades, and the people are just as useful. When I do my upgrades I tend to not make price a issue as much as the quality of the parts and the yearly longevity.

My current system is:
Asus p4b533e
1 gig Geil 2700 ultra
p4b2.8
vantec 520 stealth psu
2 maxtor 120 gig hds/ thinking about doing 2 80s on raid/
all Thermaltake case fans and Volcano p4 heatsink and fan
all Vantec Cables
creative ovation 16x dvd w/plextor 52/24/52 cdrw/asus I panel
creative audigy 2 platinum/leadtec tv 2000 xp deluxe
Chaintec Dragon tower/ heavily modified
radeon 9700 pro
Windows xp home

Any help that anyone can give on deciding on a Mobo and the ram will be heavily appreciated as well as any other things that can be upgraded as well.

Thanks
Empathy

You have a very nice system. I wouldn't upgrade anything if everything runs well and is stable. Next year will bring lots of changes, and you might want to sell your old system and start over with prescott.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You have a nice system, I'd put your upgrade money away for now. Intel will be releasing the Prescott in about a month, then a new socket for faster prescotts and PCI-Express chipsets similtaniously a few months later.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>