Motherboard for HTPC

tilca

Distinguished
May 16, 2002
I'm looking for a new motherboard for my HTPC, and I'm hoping someone can give me a few suggestions for motherboards better than what I have been looking at.
I've been looking at the Shuttle AN35N-400 but I've been thinking it might be a bit weak, but I like the price tag. They have it on sale with a 2600+ XP processor at Fry's for $149.
I'm thinking I should get something with at least dual channel memory and nVidia soundstorm. The Abit NF7-S is a definate contender, but I sure did like the price tag on the Shuttle.
I'm planing to use it for TV, and mp3 stuff mostly, but then I started thinking that I might set it up to play games on my tv with a wireless controller.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Tim

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'd go with a Micro ATX board and a nice low profile Micro ATX case. These are considerably shorter than the "SFF" boxes and more closely resemble the shape of home stereo components. Biostar has one with the built in MX440 video and TV-out, or if you want a better card MSI has one with the fantastic nForce APU.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

tilca

Distinguished
May 16, 2002
Thanks Crashman,
I have been looking at the Biostar m/b, but I'll take a look at the MSI today. I already have a Antec Overture case I'm going to put this in.
It goes with my stereo system pretty well, but I have heard it runs hot.
I do want something with decent sound, as I plan to play my mp3's through it.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Decent sound can be had from most modern onboard audio devices, but the nForce APU takes the load off the CPU and adds features. That audio processor is found on the MCP-T chipset southbridge, but not on the standard MCP. Without it, you still get decent sound, but lower system performance (might not be noticeable to you) and fewer features (such as hardware graphics equalizer).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

tilca

Distinguished
May 16, 2002
Crashman,
I have not been able to find a mATX mobo with the MCP-T. I was specifically looking for it.I have noticed my Chaintech Mobo (7njl) slow down at times watching a movie on it, and it could be the sound. I usually turn off or disable everything else running in the background.
Do you have an opinion on the Abit AN7? I'm thinking of getting that mobo, or the NF7-S. I have read the AN7 is buggy, but I have yet to see a review of it on any website.
Thanks,
Tim

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
If you don't need µATX, then buy ABIT NF7-S v2.0. I have an ABIT NF7 v2.0 and I love it

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig & 3DMark score</A></b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you can use a full sized board I recommend the MSI K7N2G-ILSR. The G stands for graphics, and the ILSR means it has the MCP-T southbridge. Of course if you'd rather use a graphics card, you don't need the G version.

TomkoKubianca

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
Hi Tilca,

I've been in the process of buiding a HTPC as well. I'm looking for something that is quiet, not necessarily super powerful, and something that will use very little power when left on all the time. I think I've found what I'm looking for with the Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H plus an AMD 5050e (45 watts) and 2 GB of DDR2 800 RAM. The motherboard has video on board with 128 MB DDR3 sideport memory, HDMI out including sound (7.1). The entire system including a mega hard drive will only consume about 85 to 100 watts, about the same as a bright incandescant light bulb

The only problem is I'm in Thailand and none of the stores seem to be re-ordering it. When the board first arrived I checked out Panthip Plaza and Fortune tower, the two biggest computer complexes in Bangkok. There were 16 at Panthip and 12 at Fortune. I didn't have money with me at the time so I planned to come back the next day to pick one up. ALL of them were GONE; that's 28 motherboards in 4 hours. That was 3 months ago and I still waiting.

TomkoKubianca

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
I should mention it's a microATX. The "P" stands for sideport RAM. The "D" stands for durable, which means they use only high quality solid capacitors. This board is made to last. Hopefully I'll be able to purchase one in my life time.