Parabolic Dish inside a room?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
September 24, 2004 10:20:13 PM

A friend of mine who attends college lives in a large high-rise dorm
building, with large flat plane glass windows. The windows only open
a few inches, to allow fresh air, and nothing else. There are no
ledges, etc outside the window.

At the university library, there exists free Wi-Fi. However, he only
sometimes will connect and signal strength is always very low/poor.

How much performance loss would occur if my buddy put a 24db
Parabolic dish antenna on a camera tripod, placed it in front of the
window, and aimed it at the library (about 2 miles away)? He DOES
have line of sight but his rubber duckie on the back of his PC (DWL-
G520 PCI Card) just aint cutting it. (reverse SMA connector)

Will the glass degrade the signal? Obviously concrete walls are one
thing but we are talking about standard flat plane, clean, building-
code glass windows.

The antenna he is thinking about is this one

http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/hg2424g.php

THANKS
Anonymous
September 25, 2004 1:44:33 AM

On 24 Sep 2004 18:20:13 -0700, billpritjr@spamhole.com (Bill) wrote:

>A friend of mine who attends college lives in a large high-rise dorm
>building, with large flat plane glass windows. The windows only open
>a few inches, to allow fresh air, and nothing else. There are no
>ledges, etc outside the window.

When I lived in the dorms, the windows opened so we could launch giant
water ballon sling shots, and other creative projectiles. Bummer.

>At the university library, there exists free Wi-Fi. However, he only
>sometimes will connect and signal strength is always very low/poor.

This is good. If you can get some signal, any signal, a bigger
antenna will only make it better.

>How much performance loss would occur if my buddy put a 24db
>Parabolic dish antenna on a camera tripod, placed it in front of the
>window, and aimed it at the library (about 2 miles away)?

How big is the window? My 24dBi dish is 27"x34". Methinks that's a
bit big for a window. It also has a very narrow beamwidth (8 deg)
which will be difficult to keep aligned. Methinks a somewhat lower
gain panel (patch) antenna would less obnoxious and more practical.
http://www.fab-corp.com/J1.htm

>He DOES
>have line of sight but his rubber duckie on the back of his PC (DWL-
>G520 PCI Card) just aint cutting it. (reverse SMA connector)

>Will the glass degrade the signal?

Nope. Glass is no problem. However, metalized coatings on glass, as
found in most office buildings, is fatal.

>Obviously concrete walls are one
>thing but we are talking about standard flat plane, clean, building-
>code glass windows.
>
>The antenna he is thinking about is this one
>
>http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/hg2424g.php

24" x 40". Big.

>THANKS

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
Anonymous
September 25, 2004 8:44:51 PM

Bill <billpritjr@spamhole.com> wrote:
> At the university library, there exists free Wi-Fi. However, he only
> sometimes will connect and signal strength is always very low/poor.

Some signal, and connections that work sometimes, might not need a 24dBi
boost. He could try a simple cantenna, or maybe even a reflector on his
original duckie. Free, easy (?), and if it makes a noticeable improvement,
but not enough, then you would at least feel better about spending the
money on a better antenna.

http://www.freeantennas.com
http://www.nodomainname.co.uk/cantenna/cantenna.htm
http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html
http://www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz/

--
---
September 29, 2004 1:12:25 AM

Sounds like a job for "usbwifi" ! WiFi rubber duckies at the back of
PCs are often bad news, since the antenna will be -
* Shielded by PC metal work * Usually at floor level- duh!
* Close to PC "noise" * Crippled by costly connectors & cables

Go a USB dongle & extension cable & beat all these hassles by then
placing the adaptor at a signal sweet spot. Rustle up a parabolic
reflector as well & you'll maybe enjoy WiFi heaven. See many case
studies/applications/pix relating to your needs =>
www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz
!