Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Good PC exclusive shooters from the past 4 years

Last response: in Video Games
Share
January 24, 2010 9:21:50 AM

I just recently built a pc and I didn't build it to be a gaming pc, but it happens to run crysis at high settings in DirectX 9. So I have Crysis and Crysis Warhead and of course Crysis 2 is coming out soonish but what I wanted to know is what are some good PC-exclusive shooters, preferably from the past 4-6 years, as stated in the thread name. I've played the orange box on the Xbox and I'm not willing to re-buy games simply so that I can play them with higher graphics. I really want to know if it would be worthwhile to buy any shooters for pc as it appears that particular genre is migrating to consoles, of which I am already an owner. I don't play online, mainly a single player kind of gamer, so anything with an actual story mode would be appreciated. Also, because I have only ever known console gaming I've gotten quite used to the controller, so anything with the Games for Windows badge is what I'm looking for.

List form responses would be greatly appreciated.

Sean

PS: I tried playing Crysis with a keyboard and mouse and it didn't quite feel right, but that could be the learning curve.
January 24, 2010 9:58:39 AM

Stalker? cheap now, looks good, requires a bit of ommph to run it, + its got one sequel and another sequel due soon.
m
0
l
January 24, 2010 1:49:35 PM

Return to Castle Wolfenstein is one of my favourites (not that new *** one) - it's not showing its age at all.

Quake 4 isn't too bad, and if you can get Doom 3 and the Resurrection of Evil expansion cheap enough (I got the expansion for about £2 a few years back) they're good enough to kill some time.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 24, 2010 3:05:33 PM

OOH! Far Cry. A fantastic first person shooter with the best storyline i have ever seen in a game. it is really cheap now because it is older, but the graphix will blow you away.
p.s. the original Far Cry, not the second or anything.
m
0
l
January 24, 2010 9:04:59 PM

Just to throw a spanner in the works...
I love the strategic FPS (COD, battlefields, Crysis, Far Cry etc) but i recently bought Left 4 Dead on the cheap. Great game! Although it dosent have the variety of weapons n maps that other FPS have - its a lot of fun if you're looking for a trigger-happy game to take out some frustration ha!
m
0
l
January 25, 2010 6:49:45 AM

I am still stuck on L4D/L4D2. Plus it has 360 controller support.
m
0
l
January 25, 2010 12:37:09 PM

Keyboard and mouse IMO is far superior to 360 controller <i>after</i> you have gotten the hang of it. Its just easier to aim+run sideways at the same time ;) 
Practise for a while and you will win (tip: make sure you have a good desk/table to sit at)

If you are online then QuakeLIVE is a good game, and its free :)  And it runs in your browser :D DD Play that for a while and you will get better with the KB+Mouse.

m
0
l
January 26, 2010 7:14:09 PM

L4D/L4D2 is the bomb-diggity. I like MW1 it was a pretty cool single player game (haven't played the online portion). Also, if you do register for Quake Live(which is free) then that is one of the best online shooters out there. Although, if you aren't familiar with Quake 3 it'll prove a bit difficult.. there are a lot of veteran Quake 3 players who have migrated to Quake Live. I'm an average quake player and I got placed in the advanced tier (tier 3) and I have difficulty all the time when dueling lol

PS: Your Darker than Black avatar is kickass!
m
0
l
July 24, 2010 2:29:53 AM

I pretty much have the same story, my first pc games were crysis warhead and stalker, crysis warhead i used a controller, but stalker i couldn't, but it was such an awsome game i wanted to play it. I used a keyboard and mouse for that game for only about 20 hours and i'm fully used to it, you just got to get over that hump. mouse and keyboard are a good way to go once your used to it. BTW my recommend the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series, but they are bugged, so when you start download this with it
http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-complete-2009
m
0
l

Best solution

July 24, 2010 6:07:30 PM

guardianangel42 said:
I just recently built a pc and I didn't build it to be a gaming pc, but it happens to run crysis at high settings in DirectX 9. So I have Crysis and Crysis Warhead and of course Crysis 2 is coming out soonish but what I wanted to know is what are some good PC-exclusive shooters, preferably from the past 4-6 years, as stated in the thread name. I've played the orange box on the Xbox and I'm not willing to re-buy games simply so that I can play them with higher graphics. I really want to know if it would be worthwhile to buy any shooters for pc as it appears that particular genre is migrating to consoles, of which I am already an owner. I don't play online, mainly a single player kind of gamer, so anything with an actual story mode would be appreciated. Also, because I have only ever known console gaming I've gotten quite used to the controller, so anything with the Games for Windows badge is what I'm looking for.

List form responses would be greatly appreciated.

Sean

PS: I tried playing Crysis with a keyboard and mouse and it didn't quite feel right, but that could be the learning curve.



F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate-Doom III-Deus EX II for strategy FPS. A new Klingon FPS or Romulan FPS would be a cool new fresh series or Shadowrun 2 with more races, a new XCom FPS where you get to fight air vs UFO than ground vs. ground assault with F.e.a.r. Gear!
Share
July 28, 2010 4:31:04 PM

Half-life 2 (including episodes 1 and 2 expansions)
Doom 3
Far Cry 1 and 2
Fallout 3 (it's not PC exclusive, but the story is great and V.A.T.S. is one of the greatest features in an FPS, IMO) Keep in mind though, Fallout 3 is an FPS RPG, so there is going to be alot of dialogue options and character customization, if you're into that. I think it makes the game that much more unique and personal and I love it.
m
0
l
July 28, 2010 6:03:54 PM

Fallout 3 is a great game, but it might be too heavy in RPG for the OP's liking.

I am specifically referring skills. Different weapons use different skills such as small arms, energy weapons, big guns and unarmed combat skills. Skills starts out, but can be increase everytime you level if you allocate those limited number of points to those particular skills.

The chances of hitting and the amount of damage the weapon can inflict increase with the skill level. So basically if you have a low skill level with small arms, then you can actually miss even if you are pointing direct at the target's chest.

I would not recommended Fallout 3 to someone who is looking for a pure FPS. However, for someone who's looking for a role-playing FPS, well that's different...
m
0
l
July 29, 2010 7:23:20 AM

Try Bioshock if you like that kind of thing. Its very story based and single player. I started playing it again after playing it a while ago, then I got Fallout 3.......
m
0
l
July 31, 2010 3:14:22 AM

LePhuronn said:
Return to Castle Wolfenstein is one of my favourites (not that new *** one) - it's not showing its age at all.

Quake 4 isn't too bad, and if you can get Doom 3 and the Resurrection of Evil expansion cheap enough (I got the expansion for about £2 a few years back) they're good enough to kill some time.



F.e.a.r. is good too in my poll most people choose f.e.a.r. 3 over Doom 3 expo! You remind of Christina Aguilera with that half watch/half human face cool art!
m
0
l
July 31, 2010 3:17:06 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
Try Bioshock if you like that kind of thing. Its very story based and single player. I started playing it again after playing it a while ago, then I got Fallout 3.......



Bioshock looks pretty cool but needed a bigger plot than A). B). C). should have had a D). All of the above are guilty and so are you for voting for whichever one and why!
m
0
l
July 31, 2010 4:11:26 AM

*sigh* I said PC exclusive. Bioshock, L4D, Far Cry, F.E.A.R, Fallout 3, Doom 3, Half Life 2, COD, and Battlefield are all on the 360 too. Deus Ex isn't, STALKER isn't, and neither are Perseus Mandate or the other suggestions Gun Blade made. Thus, his is the best answer.

m
0
l
July 31, 2010 4:11:39 AM

Best answer selected by guardianangel42.
m
0
l
!