SkaraTrinsik

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2003
Gday all I’m looking to build a new system as my last one is starting to get a bit long in the tooth. I have always been a AMD fan but seeing there is a pretty noticeable performance difference between AMD and Intel I think I will be heading to the dark side, anyhow this is the system I’m looking to build if any one has any suggestions please let me know them, mainly in the Mainboard section.

Mobo MSI 875P NEO FIS2R or Gigabyte GA-8KNXP
RAM 2x512MB cl2.0 Curical,Kingmax,Legend (dual setup)
CPU P4 3.2 GHz
HDD Primary 10 GB SCSI Drive Secondary drives
2x120GB Western Digital SATA set to raid 0
Graphics Only 32MB card update later
Sound SoundBlaster live!
Case AOpen HQ-08

What ya think? any suggestions. The money is siting there waiting to be spent

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You have to be sure you have a compatable video card, which card is it?

You could save a BUNCH of money by getting a slower CPU, and use that money to buy a decent video card!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Yeah, I second crashman's recommendation. I would get the 2.6c (on sale at newegg for $169.99) and use the money you save for an ati 9600. You can get a refurb in the ati or sapphire technologies brands for as low as $84. Many 2.6c's are able to overclock to 3.0 or higher.

SkaraTrinsik

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2003
Yeah I thought of doing that but I have the money to spend on it and I hate OCing processors. I get all the hardware for cost price so the difference between the top speed processor and a 2.6Ghz isn't all that much and I wouldnt get a overly great video card with the money Id save. I have a Creative Blaster DDR 32Mb card that should be able to do good enough for 5 or 6 months then I'll buy a good ATI card then (better models will be out and i will be able to spend more then buying it all now). What I'm really after is the best Mobo for the time being. BTW are they aussie prices?

pyrocutee

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2003
I'm not saying pricewatch is perfect, but close to it. The prices you find on their are quite often cost or below. So if you can get a p4 3.2 (which is listed on pricewatch at $373) for within $50 of the 2.6 (listed at $169) do it. If not, OC'ing the processor will get you the same performance (since it is the same chip) for less money, and a very nice AIW Radeon 9600 for the same price.

coylter

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
or you could go amd way and pay 1/3 of intel price. Then get r9800pro

My own beast: Athlon 2700xp+ (oc: 3200xp+ with 200fsb) , Radeon 9800pro (oc: 410/370) , 512mb ddr400. SO MUCH faster than my last computer (pIII 550......)

TRENDING THREADS