Having trouble with my BIOS plz help

LordRaven

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2003
I have been trying to figure out what my Bios settings should be exactly.
I have friends with system specs alot less then mine but there system performance in games seems to be alot better then mine.

I have fooled around with it a bit but i cant seem to get my games to run the way they should.

My spec's are:
shuttle AK31 V3.1 w/Phoenix-AwardBios
AMD XP 1900+
1GB crucial pc2100 RAM
Chaintech GeForce4 Ti 4600 special edition
Maxtor Diamondmax plus 9 80g

i read somewhere that shuttle performance defaults suck ass. They sure didnt help me at all

BIOS system/video/shadow cacheable's enabled or disabled?

Fast Write enabled or Disabled?

AGP Apreture Size?

WS Read/Writes Enabled or Disabled?

I guess i am just not finding the right combination of these things.

i have read everything i could find about BIOS. I have sifted through site after site looking at what people recommended for there mobo and system.
However none of that has seemed to work for my system. I really need to get ahold of somone that knows what an ideal settings would be for this system.

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
Are you sure its the BIOS settings that are the problem? I cant imagine them having a massive impact on the gaming performance. Have you got the lastest drivers for your motherboard and graphics card? When i downloaded the newest chipset drivers for my Abit SR7-8x my 3d mark 2001 score went from 8,000 to 11,000!

Why use windows when you can use doors?

"Adrian's Rojak Pot" will give you all the info you need to adjust your bios. Some of your problems could be related to your power supply. Is it at least 350 watts? My old ak31a sometimes wouldn't post the first time. I had to unplug the power supply, and power up a second time.

stupid_tech_geek

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
For your bios shadow I would go with the factory default.
As for the agp aperture, somewhere on this site Crashman told me that it should be set to the amount of vram (ie 64meg should be set at 128)but I would refer to the manual first. Fast write should be enabled. Per Jammydodger's post he's right you won't see much of an increase in preformance.You could upgrade to a new cpu ( xp 2500's are going for 83 bucks on pricewatch) and download sisoft sandra for preformance suggestions.

A7n8x dlx G Bios Agressive settings
xp1700 Paly 2x 256 Crucial 2700@ cl 2.5
ATI Radeon Sapphire 9200 WDCaviar 60gig w 8mb Cache @ 7200
"There is no magic server pixie dust."

TRENDING THREADS