chugbug

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2003
Hi guys, I'm new here so I've got a lot of questions. I'm in the process of putting together a new (AMD) machine. I don't do gamming, but I do a lot of graphics work, creating graphics for webpages using Corel Draw (Suite 11) and Dreamweaver (MX).

I'm at a stand still on what MOBO to put in. I've read quite a bit about the ASUS A7N8DX mobo here that has almost convinced me to purchase one. Although it seems to have a little more than I need (i.e. two LAN's) I know ASUS is a good board (I'm currently using their CUSL-2 Black Pearl). Some questions though--

1. How good is the sound from the Built-in sound system?

2. I'm currently using a Live! from Creative with the breakout box that I was planning on re-using. Can the sound be turned off on the ASUS mobo?

3. Is there connections on the ASUS board for a breakout box like the LIVE! from Creative? Could I reuse this one?

Anyone have an opinion on the XFX mobos? I know XFX is PINE, known for their low end products. How about the XFX line? In partictular the KT400ANB, and NF2S-ALH? I'm looking at them at TigerDirect.com. I already bought an XFX GeForce 5200 256MB 8X Graphics card (it was on sale at TigerDirect), and thought that I'd use the same brand to match up.

Also if the XFX boards are ok, which chipset would be better? Again any reason to stay with the same brand (nVidia chipset)?

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance...Chugbug

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Tigerdirect offers some great deals on some hardware, but other hardware is overpriced. For a more balanced set of prices I suggest you look at newegg.com.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>