hogfather

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2003
Evening all,

Firstly I'm new here, so hi to everyone :)

Okay, I have an XP2000 proccessor on a ECS K7S5A motherboard, its about a year old now. My question is what is the max cpu I can squeeze into this board? Because I believe its the XP2700, but I'm not willing to try without your expert advice. I have googled a few times on the subject, but no joy.

Also, I know this is not really the right forum, but right now I have a GF4 MX440, which tho everyone slags it off, is actually pretty handy in UT2003, GP4 and has good image quality. However, it is a little slow, so I'm looking to upgrade. I'm thinking (I'm a student in the UK) that a cheap second hand GF4 Ti4200 or 4800 would be good, or maybe after christmas I could stretch to a ATI 9600 Pro, but that's kinda the max budget for me. Also, with 256mb ddr ram installed, can i just buy a further 512, or does the two sockets have to have equall amounts?

Sorry, lots of questions!! Thanks in advance gents.

Chris

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Currently I'm only seeing "266MHz bus" processors as high as the XP2400+, but I think there were 2 versions of the XP2600+ (the newer one being a "333MHz bus" version, the older "266MHz bus" version being harder to find).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
You can use an AXP2400+ (AXP 2600+ <266 MHz FSB> is the max. cpu for your mobo, but it's hard to find).

IMO, you shouldn't bother with CPU upgrade. It won't make a big difference. Upgrade your RAM to 512 MB, and try to get a 128 MB Radeon 9600 PRO (or a Ti4200 if you can't afford it)

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig & 3DMark score</A></b>