BEFW11S4 v4 begins to talk to Router through LAN port

My configuration has been a DI-604 (wired DLink router) connected to a
BEFW11S4 v4 (Linksys wireless router) LAN port. The clients that
connect through the Linksys router need to pass the MAC filter on the
DLink router. DHCP on the Linksys router has been turned off.

This configuration has working well for over a month. Recently, I
noticed that the Linksys router LAN side MAC address has been rejected
at the DLink router - the address indeed is not in the access list.
It occurs every 5 to 10 minutes. I don't believe that this was
happening before and I am curious to find out why this is happening.
I don't believe that the Linksys AP should be talking to anything -
nor is it behaving as a router.

I have since added the LAN side address to the MAC filter list but
wanted to know why this began happening.

Chris
2 answers Last reply
More about befw11s4 begins talk router port

    cjtwantstoknow@yahoo.com (Chris) wrote in

    > My configuration has been a DI-604 (wired DLink router) connected to a
    > BEFW11S4 v4 (Linksys wireless router) LAN port. The clients that
    > connect through the Linksys router need to pass the MAC filter on the
    > DLink router. DHCP on the Linksys router has been turned off.

    OK

    > I don't believe that the Linksys AP should be talking to anything -
    > nor is it behaving as a router.

    What do you mean by that? Of course, Linksys is communicating with the
    gateway router. It may be acting as a switch but it is communicating with
    the computers connected to it too.

    I know on my old 11S4 v1 acting as a switch and connected to the
    WatchGuard, the Linksys is configured to be a Router and not a Gateway
    through the Linksys Admin screen. Have you done that?

    > I have since added the LAN side address to the MAC filter list but
    > wanted to know why this began happening.

    Maybe, D-link and Linksys don't play well together.

    Duane :)

    Thank you for the ethereal tip. I setup a capture filter and one
    packet arrived every 5 minutes or so. These messages correspond to
    what the router was showing on its log.

    Will this cause some type of inoperability if I continue to filter?
    Or should I enable the MAC addess on the router?

    No. Time Source Destination
    Protocol Info
    1 0.000000 192.168.0.2 224.0.0.1 IGMP
    V2 Membership Query

    Frame 1 (60 bytes on wire, 60 bytes captured)
    Ethernet II, Src: 00:0c:41:6f:25:a6, Dst: 01:00:5e:00:00:01
    Internet Protocol, Src Addr: 192.168.0.2 (192.168.0.2), Dst Addr:
    224.0.0.1 (224.0.0.1)
    Internet Group Management Protocol

Routers LAN Configuration Linksys D-Link Wireless Networking