onslaught524

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2003
Hello all. I'm looking to upgrade to a new computer in the near future, a barebones system that I can move my two hard drives, DVD-ROM and CD-R/RW, sound card (SB Live X-Gamer 5.1), and video card (Radeon 64DDR) into, and that'll run using Windows 98. I'm set on a Athalon XP 2500 333FSB processor, but I'm still trying to choose a motherboard/memory to go with it. I've been looking at an Asus A7N8X (not sure which version yet, probably the regular), and a stick or two of PC2700 256MB DDR. I'm very interested in the A7N8X's dual-channel capabilities, but I'd like an informed opinion if it's really worth it or not. Also, if anyone knows of any good online stores that make custom barebones systems, I'd like to find a good place that would put the whole thing together for me. Thank you all for any help you can give me!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Dual channel for AMD processors only provides minimal gains, you probably wouldn't notice. Whether it's worth it is up to you.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>