64 bit chipset

jcarte01

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2003
Hi

I'm trying to decide on a new pc. i was swayed buy amd's 64bit chips athlon and opteron, the reasoning is that they may offer some future proofness when things go all 64bit. i was going for the asus kv8 deluxe but then i read the <A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20031201/index.html" target="_new"> 8 mobos for the athlon 64 </A> which but the msi neo was rated better, but from what i can see the only reason it won over the asus was that the msi overclocks dynamicaly. while the review implies that the asus wont support 2 512 double bank ddr 3200 this isn't the case according to the manual, however the asus won't support more than 1Gb of 3200 ram. i dont know if this is the case with the msi. This barrier set me thinking along the opteron route, since the boards go upto 8Gb and the cpus are cheaper, but they are not at well equiped as the athlon mobos. has anyone seen athlon vs opteron preformance reviews. or am i better off going with a P4 as i may have to upgrade in another 4 to 5 years anyway

thanks jc

Homer: There’s 3 ways to do things, the right way, the wrong way, and the max power way.
Bart: isn’t that the wrong way.
Homer: yea but faster.

stupid_tech_geek

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
Considering there's not even a 64 bit os available for amd boards yet, and there's few if any 64 bit progs written yet I would save my money and wait till the technology is fully developed. If you really want to spend your money I'd upgrade components that can be used with either 32 or 64 bit. This might give you a small preformance boost in the short run and still work with 64 bit.
PS. love the sig. Homer rocks.

A7n8x dlx G Bios Agressive settings
xp1700 Paly 2x 256 Crucial 2700@ cl 2.5
ATI Radeon Sapphire 9200 WDCaviar 60gig w 8mb Cache @ 7200
"There is no magic server pixie dust."

raretech

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2003
"Considering there's not even a 64 bit os available for amd boards yet"

Just want to add a friendly correction: Linux has suppoted AMD64 for quite some time. There are 64bit apps ported already and anything you have the source for(which is most of it under Linux), can be recompiled with 64bit optimizations. but that's Linux, and we are great minority on the desktop...

Also, the 64s do provide better 32bit performance than standard Athlons and Pentium 4s under most benches I've seen. This doesn't speak of the price performance ratio though... Although this AMD64 chip isn't a bad price...
<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-425&DEPA=1&sumit=property&catalog=343&mfrcode=0&propertycodevalue=4954,4425&keywords=&minprice=&maxprice=" target="_new">http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-425&DEPA=1&sumit=property&catalog=343&mfrcode=0&propertycodevalue=4954,4425&keywords=&minprice=&maxprice=</A>
at 215.00.

Homer does rock.

<i>The wrath of penguins shall be felt. No windows shall be left unbroken.</i>

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Just want to add a friendly correction: Linux has suppoted AMD64 for quite some time. There are 64bit apps ported already and anything you have the source for(which is most of it under Linux), can be recompiled with 64bit optimizations. but that's Linux, and we are great minority on the desktop...

Also, the 64s do provide better 32bit performance than standard Athlons and Pentium 4s under most benches I've seen. This doesn't speak of the price performance ratio though... Although this AMD64 chip isn't a bad price...
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-425&DEPA=1&sumit=property&catalog=343&mfrcode=0&propertycodevalue=4954,4425&keywords=&minprice=&maxprice=
at 215.00.

Others correction linux is open source so by definition it can be port to any ISA.Even if you get a dual boot win XP and 2.5 kernel you need or a enterprise version that cost more that windows or to recompile yourself.Even so you cannot recompile the driver.?4 is slower by about 5% compare to 32 bit mode and 32 extent must have recompile code and is not much faster.P4 is faster that A64

I dont like french test

raretech

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2003
"Others correction linux is open source so by definition it can be port to any ISA."

If I answer this, we'll be off on a tangent, so I won't...

"Even if you get a dual boot win XP and 2.5 kernel you need or a enterprise version that cost more that windows or to recompile yourself."

If you're saying you need to purchase a very expensive Linux distro to get 64bit out of the Box on Linux, then you're wrong. You can get Suse professional for AMD64 for 119.00 from their website. That's cheaper than any price I've seen for windows XP, including when you buy it bundled with a system...

"Even so you cannot recompile the driver."

Never said you could. But there are already companies with 64bit drivers out. Nvidia being the biggest name to drop...

"?4 is slower by about 5% compare to 32 bit mode and 32 extent must have recompile code and is not much faster.P4 is faster that A64"

Where did you get these numbers from out of curiosity? I run both Suse 32 and Suse 64 on my system, and Suse 64 seems noticeably faster. Although, I haven't gotten around to benchmarking yet...

<i>The wrath of penguins shall be felt. No windows shall be left unbroken.</i>

stupid_tech_geek

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
WOW!!! I stand corrected. I guess that makes Linux ahead of the curve indeed. Re: your sig, I guess you've broken my window.

Btw. what's a good site to surf if I want to cross over?

A7n8x dlx G Bios Agressive settings
xp1700 Paly 2x 256 Crucial 2700@ cl 2.5
ATI Radeon Sapphire 9200 WDCaviar 60gig w 8mb Cache @ 7200
"There is no magic server pixie dust."