aaaheavy

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2001
I have a SOYO KT333 Dragon Ultra Platinum Edition motherboard. I bought 3 of these for re-sale. I have tested 2 of them (naked on bench) and they tested fine with no problems. The third one is giving me "Divide Overflow Errors".

There is no Hard Drive, only a floppy drive with boot disk, involved.

I am using the exact same equipment that I tested the first two with and this third board is giving me the problem.

It will boot just fine, up until the A: Prompt. As soon as I hit a key it either gives the error or spits out a bunch of programming gobblygook characters. I've tried different boot disks, different cables etc. Same results. I havn't tried a different floppy drive yet. I've been using this same drive for all my mobo testing with no problems until now.

Can somebody enlighten me as to what I could do to fix this.

Thanks to anybody who can help.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Replace the board? The last time I saw this, the only fix I found was to disable L1 cache! Wow, I think it's an intermittant VIA chipset problem in most cases, but it can also be caused by bad RAM or a faulty CPU.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh, I just relized it's a Soyo board, in that case it has no real warranty, Soyo will charge you $15 to fix it if it's bad. I suggest you try the working CPU and RAM from another system on that board, and if it still has problems buy another board (non-Soyo).

It took me 8 months for my last RMA approval from Soyo. Perhaps your seller has a better policy than Soyo themselves.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

aaaheavy

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2001
Crashman,

Thanks for the quick reply!

Fortunately my supplier has 90 day warranty. These boards are used working/pulls, (for what that's worth).

I've messed with these boards all day. The board posts, boots to A: prompt, just fine. It reads the floppy and I even ran AWDFLASH.EXE and updated the BIOS. It's when you go back and set the clock and date, then go into "Soyo Combo Feature" and set the CPU speeds and the Dram, is when the problem evolves.

I'm using a DDR PC2700, 333MHZ, with XP 2000+ Throughbred (Model 8) 266FSB. I set the CPU to (in SOYO Combo) 133 and the DRAM to 166 and that is where the problem begins. As long as the BIOS is set to "LOAD Optimized Defaults", it runs fine, but not at the correct speeds. Only runs good at the default speeds: CPU at 1250 Mhz and Ram at 100.

I upgraded the BIOS on one but it didn't do any good. Same BIOS but newer date.

Right now I'm set to send them back, unless you can make something out of what I just said.

Thanks again!

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
What sort of temps is the chipset hitting? I have a KT333 Mobo (Asus A7V333) with the same symptoms (won't work @ 133FSB). After much fiddling I noticed the northbridge temp was something like 37C (@~112FSB), so I've decided it's probably the voltage controllers have gone a bit mental and are overvolting the northbridge, causing it to fail at the higher speeds. I could be wrong of course, but I tried virtually everything else. (Crash - does this sound plausible to you?)

It was fine for about a year before it started giving problems, so yours could still have been pulled from a working PC.

[EDIT]Incorrectly stated it wouldn't POST at 133FSB. it would, but would crash loading windows - or soon afterwards - but was ok @ 100FSB[/EDIT]

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ChipDeath on 12/12/03 12:30 PM.</EM></FONT></P>