How to disable an XP computer-to-computer network?

x-no-archive: yes

My brother set up a wireless AP for me a couple of years ago linked to
my Windows XP notebook and also to an older windows 98 notebook. At
the time I thought it might be useful to transfer files between the
two, so he set up a network between the 2 machines. The network has
only worked spradically (EG, sometimes it would just vanish, or files
in it would be inaccessble). Turns out I realy have little use for it
anyway, and haven't given it a thought for 2 years.

I'd always assumed that this network goes thru my AP, but recently,
when examining the "Wireless network connection properties" I saw it
listed as a "computer-to-computer network, which leads implies to me
that I am broadcasting it unencrypted (my AP connection does have
encryption) to my nneighbors. I want to remove this network but have
never been able to figure out how. If someone could tell me how to
see what networks I've defined and, more important, am broadcasting
wirelessley, I'd be very grateful. "My Network Places" does not
indicate it, and the only place it shows up is under "the Advanced"
button of "Wireless Networks". Oddly, I haven't seen it recently,
not sure if that's because the other computer has to be booted up
(it's not immediately available), or some other reason.

2nd (not really related) question: Since my neighbors have gotten
their own netowrks, I find that if I am in a part of my house that is
within reception of their networks, my computer connects to their
netowrks instead of mine. Wasn't a real problem for a while until I
mentioned it to one of them, at which point, at my suggestion, he
turned on encryption. Now, however, my machine still connects to his
instead of mine, but the connection just doesn't work anymore. I
checked the box under Wireless networks that says "connect only to
preferred networks" but that seems to have no effect. The only way I
can use the net is to take my machine to a part of the house his net
can' reach, boot it up there, and then I can carry it back and it will
remain connected to my network. Again, any advice appreciated.

To email me, remove the gag in my address.

Tanguero . wrote:

>x-no-archive: yes
>
>My brother set up a wireless AP for me a couple of years ago linked to
>my Windows XP notebook and also to an older windows 98 notebook. At
>the time I thought it might be useful to transfer files between the
>two, so he set up a network between the 2 machines. The network has
>only worked spradically (EG, sometimes it would just vanish, or files
>in it would be inaccessble). Turns out I realy have little use for it
>anyway, and haven't given it a thought for 2 years.
>

>I'd always assumed that this network goes thru my AP, but recently,
>when examining the "Wireless network connection properties" I saw it
>listed as a "computer-to-computer network, which leads implies to me
>that I am broadcasting it unencrypted (my AP connection does have
>encryption) to my nneighbors. I want to remove this network but have
>never been able to figure out how. If someone could tell me how to
>see what networks I've defined and, more important, am broadcasting
>wirelessley, I'd be very grateful. "My Network Places" does not
>indicate it, and the only place it shows up is under "the Advanced"
>button of "Wireless Networks". Oddly, I haven't seen it recently,
>not sure if that's because the other computer has to be booted up
>(it's not immediately available), or some other reason.
>
>2nd (not really related) question: Since my neighbors have gotten
>their own netowrks, I find that if I am in a part of my house that is
>within reception of their networks, my computer connects to their
>netowrks instead of mine. Wasn't a real problem for a while until I
>mentioned it to one of them, at which point, at my suggestion, he
>turned on encryption. Now, however, my machine still connects to his
>instead of mine, but the connection just doesn't work anymore. I
>checked the box under Wireless networks that says "connect only to
>preferred networks" but that seems to have no effect. The only way I
>can use the net is to take my machine to a part of the house his net
>can' reach, boot it up there, and then I can carry it back and it will
>remain connected to my network. Again, any advice appreciated.
>
>To email me, remove the gag in my address.

As to turning off the network entirely, I don't know. But you can turn
off file sharing by disabling ports 135, 137 through 139, and port 445.

As to the connection to your neighbor's network, checking the box to
connect only to preferred networks should work. Is your neighbor on the
same frequency as your network? If so, it may be masking your network.
Try changing frequencies.

"Tanguero ." <GAGtanguero@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
> At
> the time I thought it might be useful to transfer files between the
> two, so he set up a network between the 2 machines.
>
> I'd always assumed that this network goes thru my AP, but recently,
> when examining the "Wireless network connection properties" I saw it
> listed as a "computer-to-computer network, which leads implies to me
> that I am broadcasting it unencrypted (my AP connection does have
> encryption) to my nneighbors. I want to remove this network but have
> never been able to figure out how. If someone could tell me how to
> see what networks I've defined and, more important, am broadcasting
> wirelessley, I'd be very grateful. "My Network Places" does not
> indicate it, and the only place it shows up is under "the Advanced"
> button of "Wireless Networks". Oddly, I haven't seen it recently,
> not sure if that's because the other computer has to be booted up
> (it's not immediately available), or some other reason.

On each network adapter (wired and wireless) go to the Connection Properties
and uncheck the box for File and Printer Sharing on Microsoft Networks.
This will prevent your computer from offering its files to other computers.
It will also close the appropriate TCP and UDP ports so that you don't have
to block them.

> 2nd (not really related) question: Since my neighbors have gotten
> their own netowrks, I find that if I am in a part of my house that is
> within reception of their networks, my computer connects to their
> netowrks instead of mine. Wasn't a real problem for a while until I
> mentioned it to one of them, at which point, at my suggestion, he
> turned on encryption. Now, however, my machine still connects to his
> instead of mine, but the connection just doesn't work anymore. I
> checked the box under Wireless networks that says "connect only to
> preferred networks" but that seems to have no effect. The only way I
> can use the net is to take my machine to a part of the house his net
> can' reach, boot it up there, and then I can carry it back and it will
> remain connected to my network. Again, any advice appreciated.

Either you've got your neighbor's network's SSID in your Preferred Networks
list (in WinXP), or you both are using the same SSID. Change the SSID on
your AP to something different than your neighbors. Then delete the
neighbors' SSIDs from your Preferred Networks list. Press the Advanced
button in Wireless Network Connection, then select "Access Point
(infrastructure) networks only" and uncheck Automatically Connect to
non-Preferred Networks. On your Win98 machine you'll want to make similar
settings using the driver software that came with your wireless NIC.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+