Northbridge heatsink issue

stupid_tech_geek

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
I removed the heatsink from my Asus A7N8X-D because I want to replace it with a Vantec Iceberq copper fan. I had to use a hairdryer to get the damn thing off but I'm left with a sticky residue from the thermal tape. I used a hairdryer to remove most of it then followed up with isopropyl alcohol to clean up the remaining gunk. Unfortunately I still have a thin haze on the chip that I can't seem to remove. Does anyone have any ideas? Also I inavertently got some of it on the board in a tight area. I removed most of it but there's still some left. Will that hurt anything? It's just thermal comopound but I want to be sure before I hook it up again.

A7n8x dlx G Bios Agressive settings
xp1700 Paly 2x 256 Crucial 2700@ cl 2.5
ATI Radeon Sapphire 9200 WDCaviar 60gig w 8mb Cache @ 7200
"There is no magic server pixie dust."

psykoikonov

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
I did the same thing to my board but had white thermal grease instead of the pad. I have dealt with the pad before though on my paly core. Yes, it's very hard to remove, do the best you can but be very careful of contacts and the pcb in general. The isopropyl alcohol leaves a haze on some plastic...where it dissolved some of it :) (don't worry). Regarding the remainder of the pad, it's non conductive (usually paraffin wax) so no worries :).

Psyko

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?showtopic=421" target="_new">Psyko's Puter</A>

stupid_tech_geek

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
Whew. Thanks for the info. I only used the alcohol on the chip so I should be good there but that pad was a sob to remove. I'll hook it up tonight and let you know how everything works.

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
This might not be strictly the best idea, but when i replaced the gpu heatsink on my 9500 pro i was left with a similar stubborn residue on the gpu core (from the thermal pad) which acetone wouldn't remove.I found that rubbing it off with my thumb did the trick, and then i cleaned it again with acetone afterwards.Crude and i don't know how safe it is, but it worked and i was left with a cleaner contact surface. :smile:

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ad_rach on 12/13/03 08:02 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

psykoikonov

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
The "thumb" trick worked well on a friends 2000+ when he upgraded his hsf. It works best if the pad is old and dried up. If the pad is still fairly new I find it harder to get off, and end up scrapping it off with like a very sharp pairing knife. Acetone should work fine as well. I mean if ya want to get nasty you could use laquer thinner to remove the stuff and it won't hurt anything either (other than your lungs, skin, and the fat layer between skin and muscle :)).

Psyko

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?showtopic=421" target="_new">Psyko's Puter</A>

stupid_tech_geek

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
I only had a thin haze on some parts of the northbridge and the ceramique stuff went on really thick so I think I made a good connection. Hopefully I won't have any problems. I'm about to do the same thing to an xp 2500 too.

mso_chicago

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2003
I use Goo-Gone - its a citrus based cleaner that seems to work well (until they find it causes cancer). I think I got it at Wal-Mart ...

stupid_tech_geek

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
Now that's a good idea. I have some of that hangin around the house. In fact I have a new cpu to put in this week. thanks 4 the idea.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I usually wipe a thin haze off with a towel, using the heat of friction from rubbing it to remove it.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>