Sign in with
Your question

Athlon XP mobo /w everything onboard?

Last response: in Motherboards
December 13, 2003 7:47:28 PM

Hi Everyone!

I am currently building a system to have in my living room that will be both my server and media player. I was going to purchase one of the remote MP3 players that would stream MP3s from my PC to my living room, but for a few hundred dollars more I could make a whole new PC.

My question is regarding which motherboard to get. I am currently looking at getting another A7N8X Deluxe because I have had such great luck with the one I have now, not to mention with onboard network and sound, it will save me some money. But I was curious if there are any motherboards for the AthlonXP that have the hardware "APU," onboard network, and onboard video that will output to TV, even at 640x480? I will never be running anything other then Winamp visualizations on this machine, so I do not really need the power of an external GPU.

I know it is a longshot, I have looked at all of the nForce2 motherboard reviews and did not see any with onboard video. But I am sure the experts on this board know better then I do.

Thanks,

Eric Phillips

More about : athlon mobo onboard

December 13, 2003 11:00:41 PM

I have the same board and when I am ready to get another board I plan to do the same thing with mine. I think you should get another a7n8x. I'm sure some of the new nforce boards have a lot of bells and whistles but if you factor the price and features I'm sure you come out ahead with the asus board. good luck.

A7n8x dlx G Bios Agressive settings
xp1700 Paly 2x 256 Crucial 2700@ cl 2.5
ATI Radeon Sapphire 9200 WDCaviar 60gig w 8mb Cache @ 7200
"There is no magic server pixie dust."
a b V Motherboard
December 13, 2003 11:04:12 PM

The only board I know of to offer all of nVidia's hardware (APU, video, etc) is the MSI K7N2G Delta-ILSR. It's like the K7N2 Delta-ILSR, but the G stands for Graphics.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
Related resources
December 14, 2003 1:00:38 AM

Hi stupid_tech_geek,

I had a quick question about the A7n8x-delux...

If you take a peek at the pictures here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20030721/nforce...

There is the quote: "Asus has integrated as much as possible into the back panel. Thus, there are four USB ports and two 100-Mbit network ports as well as a video output."

Am I blind, or am I not seeing a monitor output? I am assuming the yellow plug is not a composite, but a coxial digital audio out. I see that the MSI board also has an optical digital audio out, but I do not see one on the Asus board. (I actually have an A7n8x, non delux, else I would look on mine) Does the A7n8x Delux have an optical audio out and video out on the board?

Thanks!

Eric
December 15, 2003 11:45:12 AM

the optical audio out is available on an optional backplate, there is no video out...

Trust me I know what I'm doing... ooops, grab the cat...
December 15, 2003 12:39:27 PM

ASUS A7N8X Deluxe nForce2 Chipset.

CONNECTORS:

PS/2 Mouse (6-pin PS2KBMS Green Female)(Mini DIN)
PS/2 Keyboard (6-pin PS2KBMS Purple Female)(Mini DIN)

Four USB Ports on BUS ports 0 and 1 (Black four x 4-pin USB)

Serial Port and Header (Teal/turquoise, On 9-pin COM1, One 10-1 pin COM2) COM 2 is a ribbon card ext located on the Motherboard using the A7N8X Serial COM2 Bracket.

2 LAN connections, 1 3COM LAN and 1 NVIDIA LAN for pass through.

Parallel Port (Burgundy 25-pin PRINTER) Adjustable by onboard Parallel Port (Integrated Peripherals)

Audio Connectors (3 1/8" Audio)Turn onboard audio ON/OFF in BIOS (Optional)
For a 2 speaker audio output, the LINE OUT (lime) connects a headphone or speakers. The LINE IN (Light Blue)connects a tape player or other audio source. MIC (Pink) connects a Microphone.

For a 4 or 6 Speaker audio output, the line in (Light Blue) connects to other audio sources. The line out (Lime) connects to the Left/Right Front speakers.The (Pink) connects to a microphone. The Surround L/R audio connector connects to the Left/Right surround speakers. The Centre/LFE connector connects the centre speakers or bass speakers.
Audio breakdown:
1 LINE IN, 1 LINE OUT, 1 MIC, 1 CENTRE/SPEAKER/Bass Speaker, 1 Surround speaker Left/Right, 1 S/PDIF Connector.

Tom's Hardware Guide Motherboard of the year award. I have not had one single problem with this motherboard.

I have some older hardware like my External Hercules sound rack that plugs in via a small PCI card.
I run my HP USB 720 Digital Camera and Dock and a Saitek Cyborg USB EVO Joystick. I also run 1 Printer off the Parallel Port and my Cannon i850 photo quality printer USB.
I also use my Link Sys Router and 1 USB scanner.
Some of those components are 2 or 3 years old as well as the driver packages/firmware.

This motherboard is the best personnel board I have ever owned it never glitches it simply functions.

Up time not including restarts/OFF has been 1 month.

Barton 3200+ 400MHz
A7N8X Deluxe
Liquid
2x512 KinstonHyperX PC3200
GeForce FX5900
Maxtor DiamondMaxPlus9@80Gig
SONY CD 52x
SONY RW 52x/24x/52x
SONY DVD 16x/40x
December 15, 2003 12:48:25 PM

S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interface) Connector, This function is built into the A7N8X Deluxe to answer your question directly MR SQUICK...

S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interface) is a newest audio transfer file format, which provides impressive quality through optical fiber and allows you to enjoy digital audio instead of analog audio. Normally there are two S/PDIF outputs as shown, one for RCA connector, the most common one used for consumer audio products, and the other for optical connector with a even better audio quality. Through a specific audio cable, you can connect the SPDIF connector to other end of the S/PDIF audio module, which bears S/PDIF digital output. However, you must have a S/PDIF supported speaker with SPDIF digital input to connect to the SPDIF digital output to make the most out of this function.

Barton 3200+ 400MHz
A7N8X Deluxe
Liquid
2x512 KinstonHyperX PC3200
GeForce FX5900
Maxtor DiamondMaxPlus9@80Gig
SONY CD 52x
SONY RW 52x/24x/52x
SONY DVD 16x/40x
December 16, 2003 8:49:12 PM

"This motherboard is the best personnel board I have ever owned it never glitches it simply functions."

Well I guess that just says it all. The board is very stable and I usually run it for several days at a time when I'm downloading something. It's got lots of goodies and if you want one with an integrated video card (I wouldn't recommend it but if you're strapped for $ go for it). Good luck.

A7n8x dlx G Bios Agressive settings
xp1700 Paly 2x 256 Crucial 2700@ cl 2.5
ATI Radeon Sapphire 9200 WDCaviar 60gig w 8mb Cache @ 7200
"There is no magic server pixie dust."
!