HELP: None of my games work on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

pim945

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
YES, I DID USE THE SEARCH BUTTON
NO, I DIDN'T FIND WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR

So, i went Windows 7 some time ago, but i realized that my old games didn't work. They did on my previous XP 32-bit. This might be a compatibility issue, but the weird thing is that i bought some new games recently that don't work either.

New games:
Left 4 Dead 2
Burnout Paradise Ultimate Box Edition
Far Cry 2

Old games:
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Kohan II: Kings of War

None of these games work (see printscreens below)

Burnout Paradise:

Translation of the error message:Burnout(TM) Paradise Application stopped working. A problem has occured which caused the problem to fail.The problem will be closed and there will be a message when there is a solution available.

Morrowind:

As you see, the boot screen starts, but then the problem starts:

Translation of the error message: Morrowind stopped working. Whe are looking for a solution to this problem.

My specs:

Mobo: AsRock M3A785GXH/128M
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor (quad)
Graphics: Onboard AMD Radeon HD 4200 (DirectX 10.1, Shader Model 4.1)
Memory: 2x Kingston ValueRam 2048 MB (4gb total)
HD: WDC WD 5000AAKB (500gb)

I only recently bought these components so that shouldn't be the problem. I downloaded all the right and newest drivers for my IGP (onboard GPU).

Sorry for my occasionaly spelling mistakes as i'm Dutch.

Pim945

pim945

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Thanks for the reply, ill look into that for a bit. I have got Windows XP Mode allready, but i didn't try the games on it yet. I'll post the results later.

pim945

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
It didn't quiet work out, morrowind doesn't play and burnout crashes too. I think i'm gonna dual boot windows xp and try it out.

pim945

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Dual booting windows XP home 32-bit worked, however the games didn't. I did find an option in BIOS, saying: Primary GPU. It said pci, pcie or onboard. It was on pci so i changed it to onboard. ill see this afternoon if it all works, because im at school atm.

Cheers

Confused Stu

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
Just to let you know PIM, the images you've linked to are stored on your C: drive, so we cannot see them (only a link saying "C:\Users\Pim\Pictures\printscreen3").

Have you had the games working ever on that motherboard (under any OS)? Just wondering if it's because you're using an integrated GPU that the games are complaining. Also, are you using ATI's drivers from their own website for the GPU, or are you using Asrock's? I'd try ATI's if you're not already.

Good luck mate.

isamuelson

Distinguished
Did you reinstall the games or are you trying to run them from the old XP partitions? You cannot do an inplace upgrade of XP to Windows 7. You have to do a clean install which means you must reinstall all the apps.

pim945

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Confused Stu:
I do know that the links are messed up, however for some reason i can't edit my post anymore to fix it (looking into that atm)

The games didn't work on my current mobo, when i upgraded my specs, i also upgraded to windows 7. I am using the AsRock drivers because i couldn't find them at the ati website. I went to support>drivers or something like that, when i got a drop-down-box it listed all the gpu's except for mine :??: Ill try to get them from somewhere else.

Isamuelson:
I installed a clean version of windows 7 on a secondary partition and im trying to swap it to 1st atm. I did install the games again on the windows 7 partition

thanks for the replies,

Pim945

EDIT: for some strange-damn-reason the quick edit works, not the "edit this message button. :??:
EDIT 2: found the drivers on the ati/amd website, something with drop down chaos and options, ill try installing them

isamuelson

Distinguished
Wow, looking at the specs on your motherboard, you only have 128MB of onboard dedicated memory to that GPU.

Where did you get the parts? I just wonder if one or more of the components are bad.

I would also say, to play games, you really needed to get a PCIe video card with at least 512MB of memory. The integrated video card is just not powerful enough with 128MB of memory.

Otherwise, you appear to have a pretty good set up.

pim945

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Got the parts at alternate.nl it's a dutch website. Upgrading the GPU was also the next thing on the "agenda" because the onboard one isn't sufficient.

I got all of my games working again, thanks to the ati drivers.

Thanks all for the replies,

Pim945

I'll delete the thread tomorrow, when everyone has seen that it's solved.

StatiicGrazer

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
Don't delete the post, rather I suggest that you mark the best answer and let it lay for posterity. Espically since I'm going to be installing Win 7 pro in 1-2 days and very well may need this thread. ^^