When I connect my network and phone into a DSL filter it rings continually
even when the network is off.

Please advice

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 20:25:28 +0100, "Jcass" <jcass1960@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>When I connect my network and phone into a DSL filter it rings continually
>even when the network is off.

Oh, that's odd, but I've seen it before. The connection between the
telephone line and the DSL modem is direct. It goes directly through
the splitter or microfilter. Between the telephone line and the phone
instrument is a low pass filter in both a splitter and a microfilter.
None of this has anything to do with the problem.

Your phone should have a bridge rectifier between the line and the
ringer circuit to deal with any polarity phone wiring. That goes to a
capacitor to AC couple the ringer voltage (20Hz) to the ring detector.
My guess(s) is that the bridge is working, but the capacitor is
shorted. That would allow the normal DC line voltage to trigger the
ring detector circuit with DC from the line, instead of rectified DC
from the ring signal. More simply, your phone is broken.

See:
http://www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuits/telephone_ringer.html
Note the coupling capacitor in all the circuits. It's shorted.
Replace it.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558