How do I use S/PDIF?

Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
I have an Asus P4P800 and a S/PDIF output jack on the back of the motherboard.
I tried plugging it into my receiver with a cable already but I didn't hear anything.

I'm wondering how I would get my S/PDIF output working on my receiver?
Is there anything that has to be configured in order to get this to work?
Do I need to play a DVD in order to get it to work?
Or should it still work even when playing a divx movie or mp3?

alltaken

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
well ok i know that for my MOBO this was the case.

you using Digital or optical, if optical its easier to test.

i pluged in the optical connection to the MOBO and there was no red light coming out of it so it was not active.

i went to the options titled "sound effects" in the bottom right of my menubar (winXP) i don't know if this would be the location of your audio program. anyway i needed to find the menu that stoped the SPDIF from reciving, but rather emitting (or a better word)

the thing is SPDIF on most computers is in/out but on one socket, so you need to select which is correct.

failing that check your drivers, and audio configuration software.

i expect that it might be the first one though.

Alltaken

<A HREF="http://www.mud-puddle.co.nz" target="_new">http://www.mud-puddle.co.nz</A> its where its all going on, oh and its also all going on HERE <A HREF="http://doug.mud-puddle.co.nz/gallery/" target="_new">http://doug.mud-puddle.co.nz/gallery/</A>

Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
On my mobo it only has only one S/PDIF output which is a Coaxial output jack. I have a Coaxial-Coaxial cable where I connected it from my motherboard to my receiver input but I couldn't hear anything. Whereas you have fibre optics which you can see the redlight and mine I can't.

On the drivers in the Soundmax there are only two boxes where I can check to enable which are AC3 SPDIF and PCM SPDIF which are both checked off. There is no "emitting" or "receiving" type options and I do understand what you mean by that.

I went to search on yahoo and I noticed on other forums that they are too having problems with their S/PDIF output and it's just not only me now.

You need a digital cable for SPDIF to work . A regular RCA cable will connect but is the wrong OHM impediance to work.

Go down to Radio shack or whereever you shop and purchase a DIGITAL RCA CABLE.

I aint signing nothing!!!

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interface) Connector, This function is built into the A7N8X Deluxe to answer your question directly MR SQUICK...

S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interface) is a newest audio transfer file format, which provides impressive quality through optical fiber and allows you to enjoy digital audio instead of analog audio. Normally there are two S/PDIF outputs as shown, one for RCA connector, the most common one used for consumer audio products, and the other for optical connector with a even better audio quality. Through a specific audio cable, you can connect the SPDIF connector to other end of the S/PDIF audio module, which bears S/PDIF digital output. However, you must have a S/PDIF supported speaker with SPDIF digital input to connect to the SPDIF digital output to make the most out of this function.

Barton 3200+ 400MHz
A7N8X Deluxe
Liquid
2x512 KinstonHyperX PC3200
GeForce FX5900
Maxtor DiamondMaxPlus9@80Gig
SONY CD 52x
SONY RW 52x/24x/52x
SONY DVD 16x/40x

jcarte01

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2003
There may be bios settings where you have to choose between the mini jack outputs and the spdif output. I hope thats the case cause i plan on getting a asus board soon

Homer: There’s 3 ways to do things, the right way, the wrong way, and the max power way.
Bart: isn’t that the wrong way.
Homer: yea but faster.

Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
I don't think I recall seeing any bios settings for the audio outputs. I will probably be either buying a digital spdif cable or maybe just getting an Audigy ZS.

TRENDING THREADS