875PBZ Failure : Mobo or CPU?

roble

Distinguished
May 3, 2003
Yesterday I upgraded to the latest Intel BIOS --- after about 30 hours with no problem, it stopped booting today. I get the "Intel Desktop" splash screen and then nothing. I can't get it into BIOS Setup.

Any guesses if this is MOBO or CPU? Right now I'm trying to reset the BIOS settings. Next I'll see if I can boot from a BIOS recovery floppy...then I guess I'm off to buy new components.

Which one should I try replacing first? (MOBO or CPU)

My current best guess is MOBO. I think if the CUP is fried that I wouldn't get *anything*, just blank screen.

Thoughts?

thx.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
hmm, clear the bios see if that works if not then ya i think your mobo is screwy. From experience, when a cpu dies you either get instability in windows (that would be because of fried Cache) or you just get no boot what so ever.

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a procesor
110% BX fanboy

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
IT could be coincidence and a failed power supply too.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

roble

Distinguished
May 3, 2003
Thanks for the tips. After a full day of cursing, I have gotten to the bottom of it. After resetting BIOS settings, flashing (from recovery disk), re-seating card/processors/memory, etc. I had a USB device (MP3 Player) that had been getting flakier and flakier (failing to connect). Apparently it finally went off the deep end. Whenever it is plugged into my machine: no boot. No POST. Cold death.

Take it away and everything is instantly cured.

I had no idea that USB could *do* that. Creepy.

Well, it was time for a new MP3 Player, anyway. But there goes my excuse to buy a P4EE. (Kidding)

thx again.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
heh, I thought it was a power problem, just never expected it was a USB power problem! Yes, that's a 5v line, if it's shorted the PC usually won't start.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>