Northbridge fan neccessary on a KT133A??

bonesdad1

Distinguished
May 25, 2002
The fan on a Biostar M7VKD northbridge chip is dying. There is no OC on this machine and no heavy gaming. Does she need the fan on the Northbridge or is a sink adequate? Recommend a good, cheap sink?

my sig left me for an Honorary Guru...

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Some KT133A mobos came without a fan on the northbridge heatsink.

My fan died about 6 months ago (KT133A, Epox 8KTA3PRO). I removed the fan leaving the bare heatsink.

It works fine but I am an overclocker and had to drop FSB from 150 Mhz to about 145 for stability.

Right now I'm running 15 x 140 = 2100 Mhz because I wanted to keep CPU speed up and because my wire modification quit on me (corrosion I think). I've been too lazy to redo it. I probably will because I had a little better performance at 14 x 145 = 2030 Mhz.

For you at 133 Mhz, I'd say removing the northbridge fan (just the fan) will have no ill effects. Try it. If your system is unstable then replace the fan (which is probably a 40mm model) or the whole HSF. You can even glue on (thermal adhesive or thermal epox) an old 486 HSF or mod a pentium heatsink to fit. That's what I would have done except my old heatsinks ended up on video cards.

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b>