Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Best of the FPS RPGs for PC

Last response: in Video Games
January 29, 2010 7:55:32 AM

Well, after months of trying to get a working answer from Bethesda on Fallout 3 crash issues, I have no results. So shame on them for such a glitchy program. Also means I'm not going to give the Elder Scrolls series a look. But that leaves my pallet wet for a good first person based RPG. A couple looks have a short list for me and always open to new suggestions.

Mass Effect -
Is this just 3rd person, or can you go 1st person? Looks a little like Metroid Prime.

Dragon Age Origins
Borderlands

Anything else offered up. Doesn't have to be new either. I'm good with old school as long as its a good story. Otherwise, I might fall back into Diablo 2 and that might just ruin my marriage. :ouch: 

More about : fps rpgs

January 29, 2010 9:12:29 AM

skora said:
Well, after months of trying to get a working answer from Bethesda on Fallout 3 crash issues, I have no results. So shame on them for such a glitchy program. Also means I'm not going to give the Elder Scrolls series a look. But that leaves my pallet wet for a good first person based RPG. A couple looks have a short list for me and always open to new suggestions.

Mass Effect -
Is this just 3rd person, or can you go 1st person? Looks a little like Metroid Prime.

Dragon Age Origins
Borderlands

Anything else offered up. Doesn't have to be new either. I'm good with old school as long as its a good story. Otherwise, I might fall back into Diablo 2 and that might just ruin my marriage. :ouch: 

Oblivion ran great on my system and it is well worth the money, considering you can get the GOTY edition for $20 and that game is huge. Fallout 3 I am surprised, but I played that on the 360 and it was great on that system.

If you haven't played Mass Effect, get that before getting number 2. I can say that the first game was incredible, one of the best stories I have played on console or PC. ME2 is turning out to be pretty damn good.

Dragon Age on the PC is a must. Not only is it long, but you can also use a toolset that was released with it and it is a treat to use. I passed on Borderlands, didn't appeal to me though some swear by it.
Score
January 29, 2010 10:57:43 AM

you name 3 very good titles

mass effect: great game with great sequels (it looks like that)
my play-through in 1 campaign was 60! hours.
but get the first part first, its a great story.
(it stays in 3person)

dragon age is more to the fantasy side: melee, bows and magic.
great game, good story and a long play-through.

borderlands was fun, story isnt all that, graphics looks cartoony (if you dont mind that, its actually great)
its more a shooter with some rpg elements in it.

so you'll have to chose between:
sci-fi rpg
fantasy rpg
mad shooter-rpg

Score
Related resources
January 29, 2010 1:03:02 PM

Damn, looks like I need to exercise my patience a little longer!

Just bought Mass Effect 2 + got the Terminus set :D 

might have to go with getting the original to play through 1st from the sound of it!

Am not a mega fan of the 3rd person view either... Always found the FPS view a much more enveloping rpg type experience :) 

But lately been getting used to 3rd some... For this game I will easily make this exception!!!
Score
January 30, 2010 1:15:13 AM

Hmmm, sounds like Mass Effect and Dragon age have the content I'm looking for except the 3rd person view. Can't stand it. The only 3rd person view I played was one of the starwars games and to tolerate that, I enabled god mode and lots of clipping. I think it was more for the story at that point than the game. Is the rendering that much different? Fallout 3 has either as an option. Every game should.

Does Oblivion just do a securerom check like fallout 3 and no online activation? I don't want to put money that I can't get back into a game that won't work. FO3 was made on an updated oblivion engine, so I've very leary about Bethesda at all. Sucks too, cuz I was almost at the end of FO3 before I hit a glitch I couldn't console around. It was the best game I've played in years!
Score
January 30, 2010 6:46:19 AM

I just thought I would throw my 2 cents into the kitty. Having been a FPS fan, I had always found RPGs and strategy game too tedious. I have played both Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2 all the way through. The first time in a long time I feel I got my money's worth. I will definitely be looking for more Bioware titles, regardless of the genre. Both of these game have replay value, without the online component. I have tried online play once or twice, but didn't really care for it.

Yes, I know that the purest will say that these were dumbed down, but the story is so engaging. I would high recommend either of these titles.

The only major glitch for Mass Effect 2 was a couple times I got "stuck" ten feet off the ground with no way to get back down. Bad guys could still shoot me, so it wasn't a bonus glitch. I had to revert to the last save and replay a short section to get caught back up.

I haven't tried Fallout 3, it is just the art design that I dislike from the gameplay videos I have seen. It seems just too washed out and monochromatic. I want life and vibrancy, even with dark tones.

I have been tempted to go grab a copy of Mass Effect at it's discounted price, since prequels are all the rage, but I don't want to be disappointed.

I just finished Mass Effect 2 the first time through, and reflected on a great story as the credits rolled. Game time was 30 hr and 37 minutes. I finished with a 22nd level sentinel, and I was able to do a spooky realistic self portrait in the digital world. It was sometimes a little creepy during cut scenes late at night.

Mass Effect 2 is definitely a keeper.
Score
January 30, 2010 1:38:34 PM

skora said:

Mass Effect -

Dragon Age Origins
Borderlands

try americas army 3 its free and 1 of the best games out there just go to americasarmy.com.
Score
January 31, 2010 2:41:06 AM

I have been playing Divinity 2 Ego Draconis for the last month and a half, well developed story and to me it was really addictive, found DA to restrictive, Div2 you can go everywhere in the world, just finished ME2, didn't save the finish from ME1, played though in about 36 hours(how do I really tell) but I didn't do all the side missions, thats what I am doing now then I'll restart the game, Div2 game takes me about a week playing 10 to 24 hours a day, I'm retired and have a very understanding wife, also like X3, have been thinking about Risen
Score
February 4, 2010 3:07:28 PM

MasS effect 2 any day man
Score
January 11, 2011 3:50:08 PM

Americas Army...yeah its OLD..but nomatter what i play i always go back..
Score
January 11, 2011 4:59:19 PM

You're a year late.

Oh and might and magic, dark messiah if anyone is looking for a first person rpg.
Score
!