Win7 Slower than Vista?

pr0phet129

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Hi,

I've just upgraded to win7 from vista yesterday, and my system seems to take longer to boot, and the os seems alittle buggy.

I was running vista Ultimate 64-bit and I took 40sec to boot,

My win7 Ultimate 64-bit now takes 1:05 to boot, and I get alot more freezes.

Is this because I Upgraded instead of fresh install?or does anyone else have and suggestions?similar problems?

Cheers in advance.

knotknut

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
You have a driver issue or bad install, or a bug as you called it. It's not Windows 7.
Are you using an actual release from MS?
Windows 7 boots for me from the time I push the Start button on the front of the PC to the Desk Top = 29 seconds. Programs open up in Windows way faster than Vista.

One of the problems with upgrading from Vista instead of installing fresh is that all of the new files installed by Win 7 are going to be slotted into the bits and pieces of free space scattered all over your disk. This means they're very unlikely to be in the sectors that are fastest to access, and the head is going to have to move back and forth a lot more when you boot and have to read all those pieces from the drive.

The freezes I can't speak for, but my guess is that the slowness is probably a result of the upgrade.

pr0phet129

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
ok, ok, dont upgrade, fair enough.

but, ive found the problem,

it doesnt allow me to use all of my 4gb ram. only 3.25. and it is def 64bit and def not mu mobo. so i am really puzzled...

uh_no

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009

LOL

you honestly thing 750M of ram is causing that amount of slowdown???

i'll give you a hint....all of windows 7 uses about a gig of ram.....its not your ram bub....its your 'upgrade'

pr0phet129

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
yeh, ok, im not a novice mate, i know that upgrade = bad, but i had this same problem (with a diff set-up) with vista, fixed the ram issue, and it fixed the speed issue!!!

anyway, im going to fresh install and find the same problem tomorrow!

I dont like the idea of my os not using all my ram, so even if a fresh install makes it work splendid, i still think it should use all of my 4Gb of DDR3.

knotknut

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
The official MS upgrade version isnt out yet, right? So you upgraded to a RC with a work around. Am I right?
For your final Windows7 install do yourself a favor and do a fresh install. Save all your files to a remote HDD and transfer after the fresh install is complete.
And what version of W7 are you installing?
You want a free for 90 day official release version of W7 so you can get the real feel?
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/cc442495.aspx
Oct 22 is the Official releas of Windows7 to the public.

Although i doubt this is it, i have seen high end rigs with vista upgrade to windows 7 and have noticed in some areas it being slower then vista - i take it windows 7 caches less and uses less available resources and ends up being slower because of that, especially on systems with ample resources (i7, 12gb, RAID0 etc).

Cant prove it but thats my guess.

As for the "upgrade" - thats the first thing NOT to do, format the system and download all new fresh drivers for the system (via windows update or directly from the manafacturer eg Realtek for Realtek Audio, dont goto the motherboard manafacturers etc) - see how that goes.